Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Malaysia Airlines  Crimea  MH370  Antarctic rescue  Mandela  

Philippine gov't stands pat on no ransom policy

English.news.cn   2014-04-14 15:15:17

MANILA, April 14 (Xinhua) -- The Philippine government on Monday reiterated that it will continue to observe its "no ransom policy" in handling kidnapping cases.

"The (Philippine government's) policy against paying ransom stands," said Deputy Presidential Spokesman Abigail Valte.

Valte also said the operation launched by the military in southern Philippines to rescue the two victims who were abducted from Sabah, Malaysia is ongoing.

Malaysian Home Minister Zahid Hamidi said the kidnappers, whom he said came from southern Philippines, had demanded a ransom of 500 million pesos (11.26 million U.S. dollars) in exchange for the release of Chinese tourist.

The Chinese tourist and Filipino resort worker Marcy Dayawan were forcibly taken from the Singamata Reef Resort in the eastern part of Sabah last April 2.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines said earlier that the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf was behind the kidnapping.

Editor: chengyang
FollowXinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001332609871