BANGUI, April 8 (Xinhua) -- The head of the United Nations international commission of inquiry into the crimes committed in Central African Republic Bernard Acho Muna on Monday regretted the persistence of violence and other forms of human rights violations in the country.
"After the end of our first mission, we have realized that the killings and other human rights violations continue to occur in Central African Republic," Muna said during a press conference in Bangui.
"I think that Central African Republic has not yet experienced a genocide, but the language of hatred here could lead to a genocide," he added.
The country has experienced an upsurge of violence since December last year between ex-Seleka rebels and the self-defense militia commonly referred to as anti-Balakas.
The Central African Republic Red Cross has said at least 1,400 people were killed and 960 others injured between December and March this year.
About 625,000 others continue to live in camps for the internally displaced persons due to persistence of violence.
The international commission of inquiry on Central African Republic was created through a resolution of the UN Security Council on Dec. 5, 2013, the same day that the anti-Balaka militia launched a strong offensive against ex-Seleka rebels in Bangui.
The commission is charged with the responsibility of examining and analyzing all information concerning violations of human rights and abuses committed since Jan.1, 2014. Its first report will be made public in June.