Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Malaysia Airlines  Crimea  MH370  Antarctic rescue  Mandela  

Authorities confirm argument preceded Fort Hood Shooting

English.news.cn   2014-04-08 10:08:35

HOUSTON, April 7 (Xinhua) -- The soldier who shot dead three people and wounded 16 others at the U.S. Army post of Fort Hood in Texas last week was involved in an argument just before the shooting rampage, authorities confirmed Monday.

Ivan Lopez, the shooter, had a verbal altercation regarding a request for leave and the processing of that request at his unit's administration office prior to the bloodshed, U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division spokesman Chris Grey said at a news conference Monday, though he did not indicate whether the request was granted.

Earlier some officials said a dispute between Lopez and his seniors might be the reason behind last Tuesday's deadly shooting. But there was no immediate confirmation at the time.

Grey on Monday recounted a detailed timeline of events which happened that day following the altercation, according to local TV KWTX.

Within minutes of the altercation Lopez allegedly brandished his weapon, a .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun, and fired multiple rounds killing one soldier and wounding 10 others. The soldier who died and at least one of the wounded were involved in the argument over the leave request, Grey said.

Then Lopez left the building, got into his car, and as he drove, he fired at two soldiers who were standing outside, wounding one of them.

He stopped at a second building, went inside the motor pool and shot dead one soldier who was in the office, and then went into the vehicle bay where he opened fire, wounding two others, Grey said.

Lopez left that building, got back into his car, and as he drove off fired into the windshield of another vehicle in which two soldiers were riding, wounding one of them.

He then drove to a third building where he shot and killed a soldier at the entrance desk and then wounded another. Lopez next returned to his car and drove to a parking lot where he confronted a female officer who fired at him but missed. Lopez then shot himself in the head, Grey said.

Investigators recovered three shell casings from Lopez's car and 32 scattered across a crime scene that Grey said was the size of two city blocks. The rampage lasted about eight minutes from when the first 911 call was received until Lopez allegedly took his own life.

Grey said the timeline of events was obtained from witness interviews, witness statement analysis, forensics, bullet trajectory analysis and an extensive crime scene examination and recreation.

Editor: Shen Qing
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top Science News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>