KANDAHAR, Afghanistan, April 7 (Xinhua) -- Up to 13 civilians were killed while five others wounded on Monday evening when their vehicle was struck by a roadside bomb in southern Afghan province of Kandahar, a police spokesman said.
A minibus set off an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in Maiwand District at 5:00 p.m. local time, killing 13 civilians and injuring five others on the bus, police spokesman Zia Durranni told Xinhua.
He said a woman and a child were among the wounded.
At the same area, a suicide car bombing occurred, targeting a NATO-led coalition forces'convoy earlier Monday, but causing no casualties.
The Taliban insurgent group has largely been using home-made IEDs to launch suicide attacks and roadside bombings against Afghan troops and the NATO-led forces but the lethal weapons also inflict casualties on civilians.
On Saturday, more than 7 million Afghans, out of 12 million eligible voters, cast their vote to elect a successor for the outgoing President Hamid Karzai for the next five years in the first transfer of power through polling in the country's history.
More than 2,900 civilians were killed and nearly 5,700 wounded in conflicts and Taliban-led attacks in the war-torn country last year, according to official figures.