SEOUL, April 1 (Xinhua) -- South Korea on Tuesday blasted the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for repeated condemnation of President Park Geun-hye by her name.
Seoul's Unification Ministry said in a statement that Pyongyang denounced President Park, through state-run news media, with "expressions even ragtag and bobtail would be reluctant to use," calling the condemnation as a preposterous behavior.
While urging Seoul to stop slandering its "supreme dignity," the DPRK cursed at South Korea's head of state with vulgar words, the statement said, noting it showed how Pyongyang was contradictory.
The unusually bitter criticism from Seoul came as the DPRK news media repeatedly denounced President Park with "vulgar expressions."
Earlier in the day, Rodong Sinmun, mouthpiece of the DPRK's Workers' Party of Korea, lashed out at President Park's proposals made four days ago in the former East German city of Dresden, calling Park "an eccentric old maid" and "a babe in the woods."
On Monday, the DPRK's KCNA news agency also criticized Park's Dresden speech in an article titled "South Korean leader's vulgar diplomacy."
Park commented on the DPRK's economic difficulties and children's hunger in a speech made in Dresden, making the three- point proposal to the DPRK.
The proposal included the launch of a program to support pregnant women and infants in the DPRK through the United Nations and the broadening of inter-Korean exchanges in various areas such as history, culture and sports to recover a sense of homogeneity between people in the two Koreas.
Park also offered to regularly hold the reunion of separated families and jointly develop infrastructure and explore natural resources in the DPRK.
The two Koreas agreed to stop slandering each other at the first high-level talks in around seven years in February.
On March 27, Seoul urged Pyongyang to stop denouncing Park by her name after the DPRK's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea slammed Park of her remarks made at the Nuclear Security Summit in The Hague, the Netherlands.
Related:
DPRK completes all preparations for another nuke test: S.Korea
SEOUL, April 1 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) actually completed all preparations needed for another nuclear test, though no immediate signs were detected yet, Seoul's Defense Ministry said Tuesday.
Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told a routine press briefing that the DPRK has been ready to conduct its fourth nuclear test on short notice from the leadership by building horizontal tunnels at the underground test site in its northeastern region. Full story
S.Korea fires back as DPRK's artillery shells fall south
SEOUL, March 31 (Xinhua) -- South Korea's Defense Ministry said Monday that its military fired back on the north after the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s artillery shells fell south of the western sea border.
The DPRK began a live-fire drill near the Northern Limit Line (NLL), or the disputed western maritime border, from 12:15 a.m. local time, according to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Full story