Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Malaysia Airlines  Crimea  MH370  Antarctic rescue  Mandela  

Malaysian airliner search moved on "best estimate" of crash site

English.news.cn   2014-03-28 15:14:16

CANBERRA, March 28 (Xinhua) -- Australian search and rescue authorities moved the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 to a whole new area Friday on a credible new lead that Prime Minister Tony Abbott vowed would be thoroughly investigated.

The new search area, around 319,000 square km, is about four times bigger than the previous search area in the southern Indian Ocean and 1,100 km to the northeast, according to the Australian Maritime Safety Bureau (AMSA).

It was also just 1,850 km due west of Perth, meaning it was in more moderate seas and closer to the search base so aircraft could stay longer over the area, AMSA and Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) officials said at a joint press conference in Canberra.

AMSA emergency response general manager John Young said an international air crash investigation team in Malaysia had provided updated advice that had refined the presumed flight path and determined the new area.

"This is our best estimate of the area in which the aircraft has likely crashed into the ocean," said Young.

The key pieces of information related to early positional information from the aircraft the aircraft's "pinging" and later tracking by a satellite of the aircraft system, said ATSB Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan.

This analysis was combined with data from Boeing about the likely performance, such as speed and fuel consumption, of the Boeing 777 aircraft.

"The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost," said Dolan.

"It indicated the plane was traveling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance it traveled south into the Indian Ocean."

Young said the new search area had two benefits, with the first being its closer proximity to Perth.

"We will certainly get better time on the scene. We started nearly 3,000 km from Perth," said Young.

"The other benefit we get from being further north is the search area has moved out of the Roaring Forties, which creates very adverse weather. I'm not sure that we'll get perfect weather out there, but it's likely to be better more often than we've seen in the past and we will see what that does in terms of satellite imagery when the retasking of satellites starts to produce new material as well."

Under the international convention related to air accident investigations, searchers would have to hand over any wreckage retrieved to Australian authorities, he said.

"Any wreckage that is obtained we will hold on behalf of the Malaysian investigation team and await their instructions," said Dolan.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said in a statement to Parliament that his government would continue to work closely with the Malaysian and Chinese governments on the search, which had been "a truly remarkable international effort."

"This is an extraordinarily difficult search, and an agonizing wait for family and friends of the passengers and crew," said Abbott.

"As I have said from the start, we owe it to them to follow every credible lead and to keep the public informed of significant new developments. That is what we are doing," he said.

"Leading experts from around the world are working to solve this baffling mystery."

Ten aircraft had been tasked for Friday's search: two Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) P3 Orions, a Japanese Coast Guard Gulfstream 5 jet, a Japanese P3 Orion, a P3 Orion and a C130 Hercules from the Republic of Korea, a New Zealand air force P3 Orion, a Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force Ilyushin IL-76, a United States Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft, and one Australian civil jet acting as a communications relay.

An additional Australian P3 Orion had been placed on standby at RAAF Base Pearce in WA to investigate any reported sightings.

Six ships were relocating to the new search area including HMAS Success and five Chinese ships.

Chinese Maritime Safety Administration (MSA) patrol ship, Haixun 01, is in the search area.

Young said Australian search and rescue authorities were familiar with the Haixun 01 as it had visited Cairns and Sydney last year for multinational exercises.

Australian navy ship HMAS Success was expected to arrive in the search area late Saturday night.

A U.S. towed pinger locator and Bluefin-21 Autonomous Underwater Vehicle have arrived in Perth to assist with location and recovery of the black box flight data and cockpit voice recorders.

The depth of the water in the search area was between 2,000 and 4,000 meters.

Related:

Chinese envoy meets families of MH370 passengers, more objects spotted

KUALA LUMPUR, March 27 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese special envoy on Thursday met the families of Chinese passengers aboard a missing Malaysia Airlines jet, while a Japanese satellite spotted more floating objects in the Indian Ocean possibly related to the plane.

Zhang Yesui, a deputy foreign minister, said Chinese leaders are concerned about the fate of the passengers. Full story

MH370 search highlights int'l security cooperation: defense ministry

BEIJING, March 27 (Xinhua) -- The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane has showcased the need to strengthen international cooperation in non-traditional security areas, said a spokesman for China's Defense Ministry here on Thursday.

Geng Yansheng told a regular press briefing that international cooperation in this regard will continue to be an important part of Chinese military forces' external exchanges. Full story

Timeline: The search for missing jet MH370

More Chinese vessels join search for MH370

BEIJING, March 27 (Xinhua) -- Five Chinese vessels have arrived in the waters where Australia spotted floating objects that might be related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said on Thursday. Full story

Chinese military working with foreign forces in MH370 search

BEIJING, March 27 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese armed forces have kept close contact with militaries and defense departments of other countries in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, said a Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman on Thursday. Full story

Chinese aircraft, vessels continue search for MH370 in south Indian Ocean

PERTH, Australia, March 26 (Xinhua) -- Chinese aircraft and vessels reached their target area in the southern Indian Ocean, some 1,100 nautical miles west of Perth, Wednesday to continue the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

A Chinese IL-76 aircraft, the first plane taking off from Perth International airport on Wednesday, reached its target area in the morning. Full story

Chinese special envoy urges unremitting efforts in MH370 search

KUALA LUMPUR, March 26 (Xinhua) -- Chinese special envoy Zhang Yesui on Wednesday stressed the urgency of continuing to search with full force for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

Search remained the top priority and must carry on unremittingly, Zhang, who is a Chinese vice foreign minister, said during a meeting here with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak. Full story

Editor: chengyang
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001332212091