CANBERRA, March 25 (Xinhua) -- The search and recovery operation for the missing flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean will resume on Wednesday after it was suspended Tuesday due to bad weather, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said in its latest statement Tuesday.
"A visual search will resume tomorrow when the weather is expected to improve after gale force winds and heavy swells resulted in the suspension of the search operation on Tuesday," the statement said, adding as many as 12 aircraft were expected to be involved in the search Wednesday.
In addition to six countries -- Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Japan, China and South Korea -- which are now assisting in the search, India has also offered to join the search and recovery operation, according to the statement.
It also revealed that the Australian Navy Ship HMAS Success would return to the search area and "conduct a surface sweep of an area identified on Monday afternoon by a Royal Australian Air Force P3 Orion as the location for several objects of interest."
China's icebreaker Xuelong (Snow Dragon) and three other Chinese ships were expected to arrive in the search area on Wednesday, it added.
The AMSA suspended the search for debris and other signs of the missing plane due to adverse weather conditions Tuesday morning.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said earlier that "what has been as search has moved into a recovery phase," according to media reports.
FLASH: MALAYSIAN MINISTER SAYS HIGH-LEVEL DELEGATION LEAVING FOR BEIJING LATER TUESDAY OVER MH370
FLASH: MALAYSIAN MINISTER SAYS WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO FIND MH370 DEBRIS
FLASH: MH370 SEARCH IN NORTHERN CORRIDOR CALLED OFF -- MALAYSIA MINISTER
FLASH: MALAYSIA SAYS NO LAND NEAR MH370'S LAST KNOWN LOCATION IN S. INDIAN OCEAN, SURVIVAL EXTREMELY UNLIKELY
FLASH: MALAYSIA SAYS MH370'S CONTACT WITH SATELLITE LOST BETWEEN 0011 AND 0115 GMT MARCH 8
Video>>>MH370ends in southern Indian Ocean: Malaysian PM
Photo>>>MH370 ends in southern Indian Ocean: Malaysian PM
MH370 ends in southern Indian Ocean: Malaysian PM
KUALA LUMPUR, March 24 (Xinhua) -- New analysis of statellite data suggested that the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 "ended" in the southern Indian Ocean, said Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak on Monday.Full story
Malaysia Airlines points to reality "we must accept"
KUALA LUMPUR, March 25 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's announcement that missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean is reality "we must accept," CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said Tuesday.
Also speaking at a press conference, chairman Tan Sri Md Nor Yusof said analysis and "rational deduction" have led to the belief that there were no survivors on the plane, which disappeared in the early hours of March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board. Full story
China promises support to MH370 relatives
BEIJING, March 25 (Xinhua) -- China on Tuesday has promised support for relatives of passengers after Malaysia announced missing Flight MH370 had crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.
The Chinese government has sent personnel to provide psychological support and legal aid to relatives of passengers in Beijing's Metro Park Lido Hotel, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said at a daily news briefing. Full story
China demands information on MH370
BEIJING, March 25 (Xinhua) -- China on Tuesday urged international organizations and related countries to provide information that may help in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
"It is an international search. China hopes international organizations and countries will provide Malaysia and China with valuable information to help us conduct better targeted search work," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei. Full story
Australian DM says doing everything to locate MH370 debris
PERTH, Australia, March 25 (Xinhua) -- Australian Defence Minister David Johnston said Tuesday that his country is "doing everything we can" to search for debris of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
Everything is speculative until the debris is found, he told reporters, adding that no confirmed debris has been recovered yet. Full story