HANOI, March 15 (Xinhua) -- Vietnam has decided to end the search mission for a missing Malaysian jet, a senior military officer said at Vietnam's National Committee for Search and Rescue here on Saturday.
Vo Van Tuan, deputy chief of the General Staff of Vietnam People's Army, told reporters that the decision was made after Vietnam had received information from Vietnamese Ambassador to Malaysia Nguyen Hong Thao Saturday afternoon that Malaysia has decided to end search in the South China Sea.
Do Ba Ty, chief of the General Staff of Vietnam People's Army and deputy defense minister, announced the decision at a meeting held at the headquarters of the Defense Ministry upon consideration of the information.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, a Boeing 777-200ER with 239 people on board, disappeared suddenly early last Saturday en route to Beijing.
In hunt for the vanished plane, Vietnam allowed vehicles from China, Singapore, the United States, among others, to conduct search in its waters, Tuan said. "So far, Vietnam has not received any official request from Malaysia to send Vietnamese vehicles to search for the airplane in other areas, however, Vietnamese defense minister and chief of the general staff of Vietnam People's Army have consented that the country is ready to join the mission once receiving the request," Tuan told Xinhua.
During the search operation, Vietnam's 11 aircraft have flown 55 sorties, while its seven vessels have combed an area of over 100,000 square meters to search for the plane, Tuan said.
This is the largest search and rescue operation with the most modern vehicles that Vietnam has launched so far, Tuan said.
Malaysian PM blames disappearance of MH370 on deliberate act
Kuala Lumpur, March 15 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said here Saturday that investigators have evidence that the missing jet's communications were deliberately disabled and it turned back from its route to Beijing.
Data suggested "with a high degree of certainty" that the plane's two automated communication systems were switched off one after the other before it reached the point over the South China Sea where it lost civilian radar contact at 1,:30 a.m. on March 8, he said. Full story
Malaysian PM says missing jet's communications disabled, investigation refocuses on crew, passengers
KUALA LUMPUR, March 15 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Saturday that the communications system of the missing Malaysian Airlines jet was disabled just before it reached the east coast of peninsula Malaysia.
There is strong indication of deliberate deviation from air route, and the Malaysian authorities have refocused investigation into the crew and passengers on board the plane, he said. Full story
FLASH: STRONG INDICATION OF DELIBERATE DEVIATION FROM AIR ROUTE FOUND IN MISSING JET
FLASH: PM SAYS MALAYSIAN AUTHORITIES ENDING SEARCH OPERATION INSOUTH CHINA SEA
FLASH: MALAYSIAN PM SAYS LAST CONTACT WITH MISSING MH370 FLIGHT WAS AT 8:11 A.M. LOCAL TIME
FLASH: MALAYSIAN PM SAYS MH370 MOVEMENT SHOWS DELIBERATE ACTION
FLASH: MALAYSIAN PM SAYS UNABLE TO CONFIRM PRECISE LOCATION OF MH370
FLASH: MALAYSIAN PM CONFIRMS MALACCA SIGNAL CAME FROM MH370
FLASH: MALAYSIAN PM SAYS HIGH PROBABILITY MH370 COMMUNICATION WAS SWITCHED OFF