UNITED NATIONS, March 12 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday condemned the rocket attacks on southern Israel and called for maximum restraint by all parties to prevent further incidents.
"The secretary-general strongly condemns the multiple rocket attacks today on Israel from Gaza, for which Islamic Jihad has claimed responsibility," said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesperson.
"While reports of damage and injuries are still being ascertained, the secretary-general deplores the severe escalation of violence," the statement said.
In the statement, Ban urged "all actors to exercise maximum restraint to prevent further incidents that could bring greater escalation and destabilization in the region."
Militants fired more than thirty rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel on Wednesday evening, according to Israeli military. No injuries have been reported so far.
The Palestinian Islamic Jihad, one of several militant factions operating in the Palestinian enclave, claimed responsibility for the rocket fire, according to Palestinian media reports.
Wednesday's attack was the most massive one since the end of operation Pillar of Defense, an eight-day Israeli air raid on the Gaza Strip, in November 2012.
In response, the Israeli military said it launched strikes on two sites used by militants in northern and southern Gaza Strip with artillery fire on Wednesday evening.