BEIJING, March 8 (Xinhua) -- A Malaysian Airlines plane carrying 239 people lost contact with air traffic control about two hours after leaving Malaysia's capital of Kuala Lumpur early Saturday.
Flight MH 370, a Boeing 777-200 aircraft, departed Kuala Lumpur at 0:21 a.m. local time (1621GMT) and was expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m.(2230GMT) the same day. The location of the aircraft remains unknown.
The airliner unveiled on its website a list of the 227 passengers on board, including two infants.
The list comprises of 154 Chinese, 38 Malaysians, seven Indonesians, six Australians, five Indians, four Americans, three French, two New Zealanders, two Ukrainians, two Canadians, one Russian, one Italian, one Dutch and one Austrian.
Related:
Backgrounder: Boeing 777 jet airliner
Photos >> Malaysia Airlines hold press conference in Beijing
Chinese leaders urge Malaysia flight emergency response
BEIJING, March 8 (Xinhua) -- Chinese PresidentXi Jinpingand PremierLi Keqiangon Saturday urged emergency measures over the missing Malaysian flight bound for Beijing with more than 150 Chinese nationals on board.
Xi ordered the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as Chinese embassies and consulates to strengthen contact with departments of relevant countries and pay close attention to the search and rescue work for the plane, which lost contact with traffic controllers at 1:20 a.m. on Saturday. Full story
No news from Malaysia Airlines draws anger
BEIJING, March 8 (Xinhua) -- No updates from the long-awaited Malaysia Airlines press conference in Beijing on Saturday afternoon has irritated those anxious families and friends of the passengers.
According to the spokesperson at the conference, a total of 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew were on board and they are still working to locate the jet.Full story
No signs of crash for Malaysian flight found: transport official
KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian transport authorities said that no signs had been found that a Malaysia Airlines flight, carrying 239 passengers and crew had crashed, Transport Minister Hishamuddin Hussein said here Saturday.
He said no sign of any plane wreckage was found and denied earlier media reports that the plane had crashed south of an island off Vietnam. Full story
China launches emergency mechanism after Malaysian flight carrying 160 Chinese lost contact
BEIJING, March 8 (Xinhua) -- China has launched an emergency mechanism after a flight carrying some 160 Chinese lost contact with air controllers earlier Saturday.
"We are very worried after learning the news. We are trying to get in touch with relevant parties to check it out," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said in a written statement on Saturday morning.Full Story
Malaysian passenger plane with 239 people aboard loses contact with air traffic control, including 160 Chinese nationals
KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 (Xinhua) -- A Malaysian passenger plane carrying 239 people, including 227 passengers and 12 crew members, has lost contact with air traffic control after leaving Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur, the carrier said Saturday.
Malaysia Airlines said flight MH370, a Boeing 777-200, lost touch with Subang Air Traffic Control around 02:40 a.m. local time Saturday morning (1840 GMT Friday).Full Story
