 |
| Pakistani police officials inspect the site after a suicide attack in a court complex in Islamabad, capital of Pakistan on March 3, 2014. A lesser-known militant group "Ahrah-ul-Hind" claimed responsibility for Monday's deadly attack on a district court in Pakistan's capital Islamabad that left 11 people dead and 27 others injured. (Xinhua/Ahmad Kamal) |
ISLAMABAD, March 3 (Xinhua) -- At least 11 people were killed and over 30 others injured in firing and blasts by unknown militants in Pakistan's capital Islamabad on Monday morning, hospital sources said.
Doctor Ayesha Isani, spokesperson of Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, said some unknown gunmen opened fire inside the district court and later blew themselves up after being cornered by the police.
An eyewitness told Xinhua that he heard at least five to six gunshots in the court.Another eyewitness said he saw at least two militants wearing big shawls and holding guns and hand grenades, entering inside the court.
He said that the militants opened fire unprovoked inside the court and hurled hand grenades at the lawyers' chambers and later blew themselves up after police returned fire.
Media reports said that the firing triggered out a stampede in the court, which left several people injured.
The injured had been shifted to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences where a state of emergency has been imposed.
Reason of the firing has not been determined yet.
Police cordoned off the area and launched investigations.
Related:
Pakistan welcomes Taliban's ceasefire
ISLAMABAD, March 1 (Xinhua) -- A Pakistani government committee, formed for peace talks with the Taliban militants, on Saturday welcomed ceasefire by the Taliban as a positive step that could revive the stalled dialogue process.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan's spokesman Shahidullah Shahid said the group has declared a ceasefire for a month and the leadership has asked all the Taliban groups to respect the ceasefire and stop attacks. Full story
Pakistan Taliban declare ceasefire for a month
ISLAMABAD, March 1 (Xinhua) -- As the Pakistani security forces mounted pressure on the Taliban militants with targeted air strikes on their hideouts, the Pakistani Taliban on Saturday announced ceasefire for a month and asked its activists to stop all attacks.
The Taliban spokesman, Shahidullah Shahid, also urged the government to positively respond to the Taliban's ceasefire decision. Full story