Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Antarctic rescue  Mandela  Syria   Thailand  Ukraine  

Egypt's interim cabinet to resign: state TV

English.news.cn   2014-02-24 19:53:53

CAIRO, Feb. 24 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's interim government presided by Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi announced to resign after the cabinet meeting on Monday, State-run Nile TV reported.

"Today the cabinet took a decision to tender its resignation to the president of the republic," Beblawi said in a televised statement after the meeting.

The cabinet had done its best to tackle issues of security and economy, but making mistakes is unavoidable, he said, adding "Any government without the support of society could do nothing."

Beblawi's government was set up last July after the army toppled former president Mohamed Morsi following mass protests against his one-year rule.

The decision was made after a 15-minute cabinet meeting, state- run Ahram website said.

Ibrahim Mahlab, Minister of Housing in Beblawi's government, will likely lead the new cabinet, the report added.

The announcement comes ahead of Egypt's presidential election due to be held by mid-April.

There have been speculations of a major cabinet reshuffle with the resignation of Egypt's military chief and Defense Minister Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, but not the whole cabinet. Sisi has to resign from the government and the army before he officially announces his bid to run for president.

Last month, Deputy Prime Minister Bahaa-Eddin, also the Minister of International Cooperation, tendered his resignation.

Earlier in February, Amr Moussa, head of the 50-member panel that wrote the constitution, said "The field marshal made his final decision to run for the president and he will officially announce it to public this month."

So far, only the leftist leader Hamdeen Sabahy declared on Saturday to run for president, the first candidate who officially announced to join the election, while Abdel Moneim Abou el-Fotouh, Islamist ex-presidential candidate, announced not to run for the post describing what happened in Egypt as "absurd".

Related:

[Video]Talks underway to reshuffle Egyptian cabinet

Egypt court suspends Morsi's jailbreak trial

CAIRO, Feb. 24 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's Cairo Criminal Court decided on Monday to suspend the trial of ousted president Mohamed Morsi and some 130 others over charges of 2011 jailbreak, for studying requests to change the judges panel, official news agency MENA reported.

The defending team asked for the judges panel to recuse itself, deeming it as biased. Full story

Egypt Interim PM defends crackdown

BEIJING, Aug. 15 (Xinhuanet) -- Police in Egypt have arrested senior Muslim Brotherhood officials after security forces broke up Brotherhood protest camps in the capital Cairo. Interim Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi says the government was forced to act in order to restore security in the country.

"Terrorizing the public by carrying arms, blockading roads, violating public property and ignoring the interests of the people, is not freedom of expression. It is a violation of the pride of the state, not just the people. For the state to continue to run the affairs of the country, it has to be respected," Beblawi said. Full story

Editor: Fu Peng
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top Science News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001331397671