MANILA, Feb. 12 (Xinhua) -- National Red Cross societies all over the world have agreed to build at least 30,000 new houses and repair 100,000 damaged houses in areas hit by typhoon Haiyan in central Philippines this year, according to a global Red Cross summit opened here Wednesday.
These houses will be for the residents that would be relocated due to the 40-meter no-build zone that will be implemented from the coastline of the affected communities, said Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Chairman Richard Gordon at a press briefing.
Gordon said the Red Cross and Red Crescent movements all over the world have so far collectively raised and got pledges for 334. 4 million U.S. dollars for the recovery efforts in Haiyan-affected areas.
According to International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) Director for Asia Pacific Jagan Chapagain, the biggest problem now is to find the land upon which they will build the houses. He claimed they are now waiting for the government to provide the lands where they could build "safer and better houses" that can withstand 250 km per hour of wind " without being exorbitant."
"We will provide cash for work for the residents because they will do the construction. There will be a construction boom there, " he added.
In the three months since Haiyan tore through central Philippines, Philippine Red Cross (PRC), together with the IFRC and International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) have distributed emergency relief, including food, shelter items, water and cash to more than 1 million people.
Representatives from the IFRC, ICRC and 33 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies are participating in the Manila summit. The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement have collectively raised over 334.4 million U.S. dollars so far for the typhoon Haiyan response.