JAKARTA, Feb. 1 (Xinhua) -- Eleven people were killed and three others injured after being hit by hot ash from the re-eruption of Mount Sinabung volcano in North Sumatra, Indonesia on Saturday.
"Eight corpses have been identified, while three others are on their way to a Kabanjahe general hospital," Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of the national disaster agency told Xinhua by phone. "It is foreseen that there are still more victims at the scene (the dangerous zone). But they could not be evacuated as they are at the pathway of hot ash, three kilometers from the craters," he said, referring to 5 kilometers evacuation zone.
According to reports, most of the fatalities were senior high school students who were on a journey to see the re-eruption of the volcano, and the others were local villagers, said Sutopo.
Spokesman for the National Search and Rescue Office Moch. Hernanto told Xinhua by phone that the three injured are treated in intensive care at a hospital in Karo district.
Mount Sinabung erupted again on Saturday morning, sending hot rocks and ash up to 2,000 meters into the air.
Sutopo said that a dangerous zone of 5 km remains is in place. "Despite the dangerous zone declared at 5 km but there are still many residents entering the zone," he said.
"The officials are now overseeing and preventing those from returning to the zone," said Sutopo.
Mount Sinabung renewed activity in 2010 and again in September last year after being quiet for about 400 years.