WASHINGTON, Jan. 30 (Xinhua) -- U.S. federal prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the man accused of killing three people and injuring more than 200 others with homemade bombs at the Boston Marathon last year.
"After consideration of the relevant facts, the applicable regulations and the submissions made by the defendant's counsel, I have determined that the United States will seek the death penalty in this matter," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement.
"The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision," he said in the brief statement released by the Department of Justice.
The decision sets in motion the highest profile federal death penalty case since Timothy McVeigh was prosecuted and executed for the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City, local media said.
Since the federal government reinstated the death penalty in 1988, it has executed just three people, including McVeigh, the report said.
Investigators allege that the 20-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his order brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev planted two homemade bombs near the finish line of the Marathon race last April, resulting in death and the bombing of a public place.
Tamerlan died after a shoot-out with the police four days after the bombing, while Dzhokhar was apprehended in a suburb of Boston following massive manhunt by law enforcement authorities.
Dzhokhar made the first court appearance in July and pleaded not guilty to 30 charges for his alleged role in the bombings.
Boston Marathon bombing suspect's friends indicted for obstructing justice
WASHINGTON, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- U.S. federal authorities on Thursday indicted two friends of the accused Boston Marathon bomber, for charges of obstructing justice.
A federal grand jury indicted Dias Kadyrbayev and Azamat Tazhayakov, both 19 and nationals of Kazakhstan of "conspiracy to obstruct justice" and "obstructing justice with intent to impede the Boston Marathon bombing investigation," said the U.S. Attorney 's office for Massachusetts. Full story
Boston Marathon bombing suspect pleads not guilty
WASHINGTON, July 10 (Xinhua) -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev made his first public appearance in court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to 30 charges for his alleged role in the tragedy that killed three and hurt over 200 others in April, U.S. media reported.
Tsarnaev, 19, entered his plea on Wednesday in a U.S. federal court in the city of Boston, where the twin bombings on April 15 claimed three lives and injured more than 200 people. Full story
Boston Marathon bomber faces 30-count indictment
WASHINGTON, June 27 (Xinhua) -- A federal grand jury on Thursday returned a 30-count indictment against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for his alleged role in using weapons of mass destruction at the Boston Marathon to kill three individuals and maim or seriously injure many others, as well as for using a firearm to intentionally kill Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Police officer Sean Collier, the U.S. Justice Department said.
The Justice Department announced in a statement that the 19- year-old Tsarnaev was indicted with the use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and conspiracy, bombing of a place of public use resulting in death and conspiracy and other charges. Full story
Boston bombing suspect transferred to prison hospital
WASHINGTON, April 26 (Xinhua) -- The wounded suspect of Boston Marathon Bombing has been transferred from a hospital to a prison hospital, the U.S. Marshals Service said Friday.
According to U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Drew Wade, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the 19-year-old bombing suspect, had been transferred from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to Federal Medical Center Devens. Full story