Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Antarctic rescue  Mandela  Syria   Thailand  Ukraine  

Syria talks see no breakthrough but will continue: Brahimi

English.news.cn   2014-01-29 01:20:24

SWITZERLAND-GENEVA-SYRIAN PEACE TALKS-BRAHIMI
Lakhdar Brahimi, joint special envoy of the UN and the Arab League, gestures during a press conference in Geneva on Jan. 28, 2014. The joint sessions between delegations of Syrian government and the opposition have not "achieved any breakthrough" up to now, said the UN mediator Tuesday. (Xinhua/Wang Siwei)

GENEVA, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- The joint sessions between delegations of Syrian government and the opposition have not "achieved any breakthrough" up to now, said the United Nations-Arab League Special Envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi Tuesday.

But it was good enough for all parties are still at it and the session will continue on Wednesday morning, he said.

Brahimi confirmed at a press conference in the late afternoon of the fourth day of face-to-fact talks between the warring parties that the two sides only held discussions with the mediation of him in the morning, not in the afternoon.

"I have suggested them and they have agreed that we do not meet this afternoon and that we all prepare ourselves for what I hope will be a better session tomorrow morning," said the special envoy.

He added that no one party was to blame for the adjournment and it was his decision to cancel the meeting without any request or pressure from any of the two sides.

Brahimi noted that the negotiations were not easy for the past days, for today and probably even for the coming few days, but said he was glad that two sides "intend to stay and continue this discussions until Friday as originally planned."

As for the discussions for this morning when the two sides were supposed to talk about the Geneva Communique, the document adopted after the first international conference on Syria held here in 2012, the mediator said that the opposition has presented their visions on how to implement the communique, but the government side did not.

Brahimi declined to reveal details of the opposition's positions.

Regarding the humanitarian convoys to the besieged area of Homs, Brahimi said that convoys were ready and waiting to enter, but the authorization has not been given, and they haven't given up on that.

When asked about the alleged assistance of the United States to Syrian armed groups by providing weapons, Brahimi said that they heard the news, but it was not an official statement of the U.S. government.

As for Iran, he said that the presence of this country "would have been good."

"I believe we will try to speak and cooperate with Iran in the future in order for it to undertake its role and assume its responsibility as an important state of the region," said Brahimi.

Earlier on Tuesday, the representatives both of Syria government and the opposition claimed no consensus was reached during the morning talks.

Syria Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Makdad said that their proposals to stop violence, the basis of Geneva Communique as they explained, were rejected.

Makdad said that the government was waiting for assurance that those humanitarian convoys were not going to fall into the hands of armed groups and terrorist groups inside the city of Homs.

Louay al-Safi, the opposition's spokesman said they refused the passage of women and children out of the besieged old city of Homs since the male people inside did not think the government will provide security for their families and children.

Al-Safi said the Syrian government was trying to divert from the main Geneva Communique and to establish a new framework that they were objected to.

Related:

Syria gov't slams U.S. rearmament of rebels as undermining Geneva II

DAMASCUS, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian official delegation to the Geneva II conference slammed on Tuesday the U.S. decision to restart sending non-lethal help to the Syrian rebels, saying the move aims to thwart the success of the peace talks, according to the state-run SANA news agency.

Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said the U.S. decision "aims at thwarting the conference," stressing that the side which provides weapons to terrorist groups doesn't care about the conference's success. Full story

Iran tells Annan: Support for Syria "terrorists" must end

TEHRAN, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- Support for terrorist groups in the region, especially in war-torn Syria, must be prevented and stopped, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Tuesday to former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, who was visiting the Islamic republic to discuss Iran's nuclear issue and regional developments

In a meeting with Annan and other members of the visiting Elders organization, an international body of public figures, on Tuesday, Rouhani said, that the international community should unite "for the cessation of war and killing in Syria." Full story

 

 

Editor: Luan
Follow Xinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top Science News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001260764451