Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Antarctic rescue  Mandela  Syria   Thailand  Ukraine  

Iranian officials dismiss Kerry's nuclear remarks

English.news.cn   2014-01-26 20:50:48

TEHRAN, Jan. 26 (Xinhua) -- Iranian officials have downplayed the recent remarks by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Iran's nuclear program and threatened to target U.S. interests if the Islamic republic is attacked.

The remarks by Kerry are a violation of international law and the Charter of the United Nations, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham was quoted as saying by local media on Sunday.

"These remarks are undiplomatic" and have been made under the pressure of the opposition to Iran's recent nuclear deal with the world powers, Afkham was quoted as saying by Press TV.

On Friday, Kerry said if Iran does not intend to pursue nuclear weapons, it should prove this in practice and demonstrate that its nuclear program was peaceful.

"Iran must accept extensive verification, abandon plans to build a heavy-water reactor that can produce plutonium, and resolve longstanding concerns by the International Atomic Energy Agency," media quoted him as saying.

Also, Kerry said Thursday that the military option was still on the table if Iran did not live up to its nuclear commitments under the Geneva deal it signed with the six world powers in November.

In the meantime, Iranian Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) chief commander dismissed Saturday what he called U.S. threat of military action against Tehran over its controversial nuclear program, Press TV reported.

Major General Mohammad-Ali Jafari called the threat "ridiculous " and said wise U.S. politicians would not keep the option on the table, admonishing Kerry to stop repeating "bankrupt strategies such as the use of military power."

The interests of the United States in the region will be completely destroyed in case of any military attack against Iran, Press TV quoted another senior Iranian commander as saying on Saturday.

Brigadier General Masoud Jazayeri, the deputy chief of the Staff of Iran's Armed Forces, said that the U.S. government knows that the military option against Iran is not practical.

Related:

Iran's IRGC commander dismisses U.S. military threat

TEHRAN, Jan. 25 (Xinhua) -- Iranian Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) chief commander dismissed Saturday what he called U.S. threat of military action against Tehran over its controversial nuclear program, Press TV reported.

Major General Mohammad-Ali Jafari called the threat "ridiculous " and said wise U.S. politicians would not keep the option on the table, admonishing U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who put forward such a possibility, to stop repeating "bankrupt strategies such as the use of military power." Full story

No need for opening IAEA office in Tehran: Iran's envoy

TEHRAN, Jan. 25 (Xinhua) -- There is no necessity for opening an office of the UN watchdog, IAEA, in the Iranian capital of Tehran, Iran's envoy to the IAEA was quoted as saying by the semi- official Mehr news agency on Saturday.

"So far, we have not received any request from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for opening an office in Tehran," Reza Najafi was quoted as saying. Full story

Editor: chengyang
Follow Xinhuanet     
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top Science News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001330761131