RAMALLAH, Jan. 21 (Xinhua) -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas hinted Tuesday that he rejects any extension of the ongoing U.S.-sponsored peace talks set to run nine months between the Palestinians and Israel.
When the negotiations resumed in July after a three-year halt, "it was stipulated that they run for nine months and there were no talks about extending them," Abbas said at a press conference held jointly with visiting Romanian President Traian Basescu.
There have been reports that Israel and the United States prefer to give additional time to the negotiations, especially as they have been unproductive so far.
Abbas said he briefed his guest about the obstacles preventing the talks from going forward, referring to Israel's continued settlement construction on occupied Palestinian lands, its detention of thousands of Palestinians, and Jewish settlers' daily vandalism against Palestinian properties in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.
He reaffirmed that the Palestinian side will continue efforts toward a peaceful solution that would end the Israeli occupation of its lands and create a Palestinian state based on the pre-1967 borderlines.
For his part, Basescu said that Romania supports the U.S. efforts to achieve Mideast peace "without any reservation," stressing the support also goes to a recent security plan put forward by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, about which the Palestinians have raised reservations.
Palestinians say the plan mainly adopts Israel's viewpoint, allowing Israel to preserve security control over future Palestinian state's border with Jordan in the West Bank.
Meanwhile, a Palestinian official denied reports that Abbas will meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu under Jordanian auspices.
"Neither the American nor the Jordanian side proposed such a meeting," Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator, told Xinhua.