Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Antarctic rescue  Mandela  Syria   Thailand  Ukraine  

Suspect arrested over Chinese consulate arson in San Francisco

English.news.cn   2014-01-07 10:17:01            
 • The 39-year-old man suspect has permanent resident status of the United States.
 • The suspect was arrested Friday after he turned himself in by calling police in Daly City.
 • The investigators have so far been looking at the incident as a purely criminal matter.

 

 David Johnson (2nd R), chief of the San Francisco office of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), speaks during a press conference in San Francisco Jan. 6, 2014. A man suspected of carrying out the arson attack on the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco has been arrested, the FBI announced on Monday. (Xinhua/Liu Yilin)

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 6 (Xinhua) -- A man suspected of carrying out the arson attack on the Chinese consulate in San Francisco, California, has been arrested, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) announced Monday.

The 39-year-old man suspect has permanent resident status of the United States, special Agent David Johnson, chief of the FBI's San Francisco office, said at a press conference.

The suspect was arrested Friday after he turned himself in by calling police in Daly City, some 16 km south of San Francisco, according to Johnson.

The suspect is currently held on two criminal charges, including causing damage to property of a foreign government and arson, said the special agent.

The investigators have so far been looking at the incident as a purely criminal matter, and do not believe politics or other organizations was involved.

Last Wednesday, a person got out of a mini-van parked in front of the main entrance of the Chinese consulate-general in San Francisco, poured two buckets of gasoline onto the front door and set it alight, according to a statement posted on the website of the consulate-general.

Fortunately, no one was hurt in the New Year's Day blaze that charred a doorway and damaged the lobby of the building.

After the press conference, the Chinese consulate-general in San Francisco urged the United States to punish the culprit, take effective measures to protect its diplomatic institutions and staff, and prevent the recurrence of similar incidents.

Related:

Video: FBI: Fire likely criminal act, not terrorism related

China urges U.S. to ensure safety following consulate arson attack

BEIJING, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- China on Thursday urged the United States to take "effective measures" to protect its diplomatic institutions and staff, and prevent similar incidents following an arson attack on a Chinese consulate-general.

"The Chinese Foreign Ministry and embassy and consulates to the United States have lodged solemn representations to the U.S. side, demanding they solve the case as soon as possible and severely punish the culprit," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang.  Full story

Chinese consulate-general in San Francisco damaged in arson attack

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 1 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese consulate-general here was severely damaged in an arson attack Wednesday, according to a statement posted on its website Thursday.

A person got out of a mini-van parked in front of the main entrance of the consulate at 9:25 p.m.(GMT 5:25 a.m. Thursday) Wednesday, poured two buckets of gasoline onto the front door and set it alight, severely damaging the door, it said.  Full story

Editor: Hou Qiang
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001330242251