JALALABAD, Afghanistan, Jan. 4 (Xinhua) -- One NATO soldier and six militants were killed Saturday morning in an attack at a joint military camp of the Afghan forces and the coalition troops in the eastern Nangarhar province, a police source said.
"Six militants were involved in the attack. They approached to the military base in Ghani Khil district of eastern Nangarhar province at around 7:30 a.m. (local time). First they detonated an explosive-laden vehicle close to the compound," the provincial police spokesman Hazrat Husain Mashriqiwal told Xinhua.
The blast walls of the compound absorbed the force of the explosion, the spokesman said, adding a gunfight followed the blast, which lasted for nearly half an hour.
Meanwhile, the NATO-led ISAF coalition forces confirmed that one coalition soldier was killed early Saturday.
"An International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service member died following a suicide attack by enemy forces in eastern Afghanistan today," the ISAF said in a statement.
However, the statement did not disclose the nationality of the victim under the ISAF policy.
Five guns were also found and investigation was launched into the incident in the province 120 km east of country's capital, Mashriqiwal said.
"Details about the incident will be released to the media after the investigation later Saturday," he noted.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, told local media that Taliban members launched the attack, causing casualties on local and foreign security forces.
The Taliban insurgents fighting Afghan forces and more than 84, 000 NATO-led coalition troops recently announced that they will continue their attacks against government and foreign soldiers, adding there will be no pause in Taliban activities during the winter.
They urged civilians to stay away from official gatherings, military convoys and centers regarded as legitimate targets by the militants and warned people against supporting the government and foreign troops.
About 160 foreign soldiers were killed in Afghanistan last year.
3 NATO soldiers killed in Kabul bomb attack
KABUL, Dec. 27 (Xinhua) -- Three soldiers of the NATO-led ISAF coalition forces were killed in a suicide car bombing in Afghan capital of Kabul on Friday, the coalition forces confirmed.
"Three International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service members died following a suicide vehicle-born improvised explosive device attack in Kabul, Afghanistan today" the ISAF said in a statement. Full story