MOSCOW, Jan. 1 (Xinhua) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday visited some victims of recent terror blasts in Volgograd, a city of one million people in central Russia that has endured suicide bombings since October, discussing public security with high ranking officials.
His visit to Volgograd, some 900 kilometers southeast of Moscow, came hours after he celebrated the New Year in the Far East city of Khabarovsk, where residents had been suffering from devastating floods.
Putin was briefed about what was done in Volgograd and efforts to maintain public security in the country in a meeting with Federal Security Service chief Alexander Bortnikov, Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova, Volgograd Region Governor Sergei Bozhenov. Two suicide bombings struck in Volgograd, the first at a railway station Sunday and the other aboard a trolley bus Monday, leaving at least 34 people dead, according to latest official statistics.
Authorities have declared a five-day mourning starting from Monday in the region.
Putin on Tuesday also pledged Russia "will continue the fight against terrorists certainly, fiercely and consistently until they are all destroyed."
In October, a suicide bomber blew herself up in a bus in Volgograd, killing seven people and injuring dozens more.
MOSCOW, Dec. 31 (Xinhua) -- Death toll of the twin terror attacks in Volgograd has risen to 34, regional authorities said Tuesday.
"Eighteen people were killed by the explosion at the railway station, and 16 people died in the trolleybus blast," local health authorities told reporters. Full story
MOSCOW, Dec. 30 (Xinhua) -- President Vladimir Putin ordered the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAC) to tighten security throughout Russia on Monday after two blasts in Volgograd left at least 32 people dead.
Several presidential instructions were specially on Volgograd, some 900 km southeast of Moscow, said the committee. Full story