UNITED NATIONS, Dec. 17 (Xinhua) -- The UN Security Council on Tuesday urged all parties in South Sudan to immediately cease hostilities and exercise restraint in order to "prevent any spread of the current violence" in the world's youngest country.
The appeals, contained in a statement, came out the of the 15-nation Security Council's "serious concern over the fighting that began on Dec. 15 and is ongoing in the capital city of Juba, and other areas, in South Sudan that has reportedly resulted in large numbers of casualties, as well as over the risk of targeted violence against certain communities."
"The members of the Security Council urged all parties to immediately cease hostilities, exercise restraint and refrain from violence and other actions that could exacerbate tensions," the statement said.
Earlier on Tuesday, UN under-secretary-general for peacekeeping operations, Herve Ladsous, told the UN Security Council that between 400 and 500 bodies had been taken to hospitals in Juba, while another 800 had been wounded, following two days of heavy fighting between rival sides in the South Sudanese troops.
26 killed, 140 injured in South Sudan clashes
KHARTOUM, Dec. 17 (Xinhua) -- The South Sudanese government on Tuesday announced that the military clashes in the country's capital city of Juba since Sunday night have left 26 people dead and 140 others injured.
"We got the official statistics from reports of the health authorities and hospitals in Juba," South Sudan's State Minister for Health Makur Korion said. Full story