MANILA, Dec. 8 (Xinhua) -- The Philippine government Sunday called on the country's largest Muslim rebel group to follow the rule of law and strictly adhere to the ceasefire agreement now that the peace process is in the final stretch.
Government senior military adviser Major General Leo Cresente Ferrer made the appeal following the recent attack by suspected Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) members on a police station in Marawi City in southern province of Lanao del Sur and the alleged abduction of 12 persons in Balo-i town in southern province of Lanao del Norte.
"We ask the MILF leadership to rein in their forces in the spirit of the positive strides of the peace process both sides have steadfastly worked on for so many years. A fruitful conclusion would benefit not just the Bangsamoro people but the rest of the people in Mindanao," he said.
The recent incidents came as the government and MILF peace panels held the 42nd exploratory talks in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Ferrer stressed that prospects are now brighter than ever for the signing of a Comprehensive Peace Agreement.
"With the peace talks in the end stage, let us not allow any untoward incidents, isolated they may be, to obstruct the momentum gained so far by the peace process," he said.
Philippine gov't determines to save remaining Abu Sayyaf captives: official
MANILA, Dec. 7 (Xinhua) -- The Philippine government, following a long-captive Jordanian journalist recently escaped from Abu Sayyaf group, assured Saturday that it is determined to free some 17 people believed to be still in the hands of the al-Qaeda-linked group.
Philippine Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said that the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) did not stop in pursuing the bandit group which perpetrated a number of high-profile kidnapping cases. Full story