PYONGYANG, Nov. 15 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Friday dismissed news reports that it had sent air force pilots to Syria to attack rebel forces.
A foreign ministry spokesman said some overseas media had floated misinformation that the DPRK supplied war equipment to Syria and directly involved its airmen in air raids on insurgent troops.
Such reports "are part of the foolish plots of hostile forces to tarnish the image of the peace-loving DPRK and cover up their criminal acts of blocking the peaceful settlement of the Syrian situation," the official was quoted by official news agency KCNA as saying.
The spokesman stressed that it has always been the stance of the DPRK that the Syrian situation should be settled peacefully through dialogue and negotiations, as early as possible and free from foreign intervention.
The rumor first surfaced in an Arab paper published in Britain late last month. The report was based on claims raised by a member of the Syrian National Council, who said Damascus hired some pilots from the DPRK.
Related:
Syria military jets strike Lebanon border town: security source
BEIRUT, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- Syrian military jets on Thursday launched three air raids on the outskirts of Lebanon's Arsal border town in the east Bekaa, a local security source said. Full story
Syrian gov't re-controls key town, ready to attend Geneva II
DAMASCUS, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian government re-controlled the town of Hajjira in the countryside of Damascus after dislodging the country's rebels, while it said it would seriously attend the Geneva II conference on Syria. Full story
Syria's opposition coalition agrees to participate in Geneva II conference
DAMASCUS, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian opposition coalition has conditionally agreed to attend Geneva II conference designed to end the country's bloody confict, a statement reaching here said on Monday. Full story
Syrian opposition sets Assad's departure precondition for Geneva talks
ISTANBUL, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian National Coalition ( SNC), the main opposition group based in Istanbul, said on Monday that it agreed to join the Geneva II conference on condition that President Bashar al-Assad play no role in a transitional governing body. Full story
