WASHINGTON, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- The world powers are united in negotiations with Iran over its disputed nuclear program, said the White House on Tuesday, refuting blame that divisions among the six negotiating partners resulted in the failure of talks in Geneva last week.
The P5+1 group were unified on the proposal put forward at the talks but Iran did not accept the deal, said White House spokesman Jay Carney at a daily press briefing.
Talks between Iran and the P5+1 group, namely Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany, ended on Saturday in Geneva without an agreement. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif blamed a split between world powers for the failure.
"Gaps remain and there are still important issues to be addressed between the P5+1 and Iran," Carney said, adding that there was, however, important progress made at the Geneva talks which were "cordial, substantive and serious."
Officials from the two sides will resume negotiations on Nov. 20.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is scheduled to brief the Senate Banking Committee on Wednesday on talks in Geneva.
"The secretary will be clear that putting new sanctions in place would be a mistake while we are still determining if there is a diplomatic path forward," U.S. Department of State spokesman Jen Psaki said at a daily briefing on Tuesday.
Psaki said that Kerry would ask for "a temporary pause" in sanctions against Iran without taking them away, in order to ensure that legislative strategy and negotiating strategy would run hand-in-hand.
TEHRAN, Nov. 10 (Xinhua) -- After over a decade of standoff in Iran's controversial nuclear program, world has finally come close to a "historical" turn that might help straighten out the issue. This could be the message of the recent Geneva talks, analysts said.
"I want to say that the result of Geneva talks has been historical. Something is happening this time very seriously," Sadeq Zibakalam, a professor of politics in Tehran University, told Xinhua on Sunday. Full story
WASHINGTON, Nov. 10 (Xinhua) -- The world powers were engaged in "serious" talks with Iran over its nuclear program, and the United States is not "blind" or "stupid" in pursuing a deal over the controversial nuclear program in the Islamic republic, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Sunday.
The comment came after three-day intensive talks in Geneva between Iran and Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany, the so-called P5+1, narrowed their differences but failed to produce an interim deal amid hyped expectations. The two sides agreed to meet again on Nov. 20 at the conclusion of their talks on Saturday. Full story
TEHRAN, Nov. 10 (Xinhua) -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday that domestic uranium enrichment is Iran's redline and no concession can be made in this regard, Press TV reported.
The remarks came after three days' intensive nuclear talks between Iran and the P5+1 group -- the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany -- in Geneva, which ended on Saturday without producing any deal. Full story