Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: typhoon Haiyan  spying  Morsi  LAX shooting  Taliban  

U.S. concerned about Israel's plan to build more settler homes

English.news.cn   2013-11-13 05:15:16            

WASHINGTON, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- The Obama administration on Tuesday expressed "deep concern" about Israel's plan to build over 20,000 new housing units in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, just as the Palestinians threatened to end the ongoing peace talks with Israel over its latest move.

"We are deeply concerned by this these latest reports that over 20,000 additional units are in the early planning stages," State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said at a regular press briefing.

"We were surprised by these announcements and are currently seeking further explanation from the government of Israel," she added.

Adding to the ongoing wrangling with the Palestinians over the settlement issue, one that had scuttled direct talks between the two sides three years ago, Israel's Ministry of Housing and Construction published tenders on Oct. 24 and Oct. 30 for building 19,786 new settler homes in the West Bank and 4,000 in East Jerusalem, according to Peace Now, a settlement watchdog.

In response, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas warned on Tuesday that he would declare the peace process over unless Israel canceled the construction plan.

"Our position on settlements is quite clear," Psaki said. "We do not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement activity. We' ve called on both sides to take steps to create a positive atmosphere for the negotiations."

The negotiations were restarted in late July under the auspices of the Obama administration, with Washington and the two sides seeking to achieve a final-status agreement within nine months.

However, the Israelis and Palestinians have started to trade blame for the moribund peace process, prompting U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry to travel again to the region last week, his eighth in 10 months, to discuss the path forward.

Related:

Israel mulls halting distribution of gas masks

JERUSALEM, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- Israel's defense establishment is set to recommend halting the production and distribution of gas mask kits to civilians, the Yisrael Hayom daily reported on Tuesday.

Distribution of the kits was renewed in 2010 after years of planning and bureaucratic haggling, though funds allocated for the project sufficed to equip only 60 percent of the public to date. Full story

Editor: Yang Yi
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001328826761