SYDNEY, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- About 900 bushfire claims have been lodged with insurers so far, with losses of more than 100 million AU dollars (about 96 million U.S. dollars), the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) said on Tuesday.
More claims are expected to be lodged this week, the representative body of Australia's general insurance industry said.
ICA spokesperson Campbell Fuller said insurance assessors had started to review claims and assess the damage, but many affected areas were still not accessible due to the ongoing fire risk.
"This is a horrific thing for many, many families and business to go through," Fuller told the Australian Associated Press (AAP).
On Monday, a team of disaster specialists was sent to the Springwood recovery center by the ICA to help bushfire policyholders with questions about their insurance claims.
"The ICA's team at the Springwood recovery center is there to answer questions about the claims process, and help policyholders make contact with their insurer," ICA chief executive Rob Whelan said in a statement.
"The ICA is also liaising closely with local and state government agencies, emergency services and community groups to help identify issues and resolve them as swiftly as possible."
SYDNEY, Oct. 21 (Xinhua) -- An emergency warning is in place after the fire in the Springwood in the Australia's New South Wales (NSW) Blue Mountains flared up on Monday afternoon, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said in its Major Fire Updates. "The fire has flared up in bushland between Chapman Road and Grose Road. Firefighters are working in the area,"the FRS said.
Residents in the area are advised to seek shelter if the fire impacts. Full story
SYDNEY, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) -- Insurance companies have already received about 550 claims totaling 30 million AU dollars (28.9 million U.S. dollars) since the devastating bushfires broke out in New South Wales on Thursday, the Insurance Council of Australia ( ICA) said Friday.
The representative body of Australia's general insurance industry said many of the claims that have been lodged are for a total loss of properties and the number is expected to climb over the next few days. Full story