UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 19 (Xinhua) -- UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos on Saturday called on all warring parties in Syria to agree to an immediate ceasefire in Moadamiyeh in rural Damascus so that life-saving humanitarian assistance can reach the Syrian people there in need.
"I call on all parties to agree an immediate pause in hostilities in Moadamiyeh to allow humanitarian agencies unhindered access to evacuate the remaining civilians and deliver life-saving treatment and supplies in areas where fighting and shelling is ongoing," Amos said in a statement issued here.
"We have been denied access to Moadamiyeh in rural Damascus for months," said Amos, who is the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator.
"Although the evacuation of more than 3,000 people took place on Sunday, the same number or more remain trapped," she said. " There are reports of continued shelling and fighting in the area, preventing the completion of the rescue operation."
"Those evacuated from Moadamiyeh -- mostly women and children -- received immediate assistance from the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, UN humanitarian agencies and partners, local businesses and private individuals, including food, medical treatment and psycho- social support," she said.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since mid-March 2011. An estimated 2.1 million people have so far fled the fighting in the Middle East country. The United Nations says more than 100,000 people have died so far in the civil war, which has been raging for more than two and a half years.
Amos said that she continues "to be extremely worried by the situation unfolding across Syria where ordinary women, children and men are facing horrific violence and brutality from all sides of the conflict."
"Thousands of families also remain trapped in other locations across Syria, for example in Nubil, Zahra, old Aleppo town, old Homs town and Hassakeh," she said. "Civilians must be allowed to move to safer areas without the fear of attack."
"It is vital that all parties to the conflict respect their obligations under international human rights and humanitarian laws to protect civilians and to allow neutral, impartial humanitarian organizations safe access to all people in need, wherever they are in Syria," she added.
Related:
Blast rocks Damascus suburb, casualties feared
DAMASCUS, Oct. 19 (Xinhua) -- A "terrorist" explosion rocked a pro-government suburb east of the Syrian capital of Damascus Saturday morning, leaving an unknown number of casualties, the state-run SANA news agency reported.Full story
14 Syrian chemical sites inspected by int'l experts
DAMASCUS, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) -- A group of international experts have conducted inspection activities at 14 chemical weapons sites in Syria, the team said in a statement Friday.Full story
UN chief appoints coordinator of Syria chemical weapons mission
UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-general Ban Ki- moon on Wednesday appointed Sigrid Kaag as special coordinator of the joint mission of the UN and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) tasked with eliminating Syria's chemical weapons.Full story