ISLAMABAD, Sept. 29 (Xinhua) -- The death toll of a blast that hit Pakistan's northwest city of Peshawar on Sunday morning has risen to 39, said a local hospital official.
Local media quoted Chief Executive of Peshawar's Lady Reading Hospital, which admitted all the blast victims, as saying that the killed include six children and three women.
Over 100 others were injured in the blast, said the hospital official.
Local media reported that 12 members of a family who happened to be shopping at the blast site were killed.
The deadly blast took place at about 10:50 a.m. local time at Qissa Khawani Bazar, one of the busiest markets in Peshawar.
The bomb was planted inside a car parked about 20 meters away from a police station in the market and it was detonated through a remote control device, said police.
No policemen have been killed or injured in the blast.
Shafqat Malik, assistant inspector general of Bomb Disposal Squad, said that an estimated 200 kg of explosives were used in the bomb.
The huge blast destroyed nearly 20 shops and six vehicles in the nearby area, said local media.
It took a long time for the fire fighters to put off the flame caused by the blast, said the report.
Both Pakistani President and Prime Minister have strongly condemned the bomb attack.
So far no group has claimed the responsibility for the attack.
Sunday's blast in Peshawar is the third serious terrorist attack in the city over the past week or so. On Sunday,(Sept. 22), a twin suicide bomb attack on a Christian church in Peshawar, claimed more than 80 lives, triggering a nationwide protest. On Friday afternoon, a bus carrying local government employees was hit by a bomb planted inside it, leaving at least 19 people dead.