Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: German election  Syria   NSA  chemical weapon  Iraq  

Italian president reprimands Berlusconi's party over resignation threats

English.news.cn   2013-09-27 02:06:38            
 • Italian president issued a severe reprimand to Berlusconi's party after mass resignation threats.
 • MPs of Berlusconi's party renewed threats to resign if their leader was expelled from the Parliament.
 • A special Senate Commission is due to meet to vote on Berlusconi's banishment from Parliament.

 

ROME, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- Political instability still spirals on Thursday in Italy, as President Giorgio Napolitano issued a severe reprimand to Silvio Berlusconi's party after mass resignation threats.

"I would have participated in today's conference if yesterday there had not been a sudden political development that it is institutionally disturbing", said Napolitano after cancelling his attendance at a political conference scheduled on Thursday in Rome.

On Wednesday evening, the MPs of Berlusconi's party - People of Freedom Party (PDL) - had renewed the threats to resign if their leader was expelled from the Parliament after his conviction for tax-fraud, upheld by the Supreme Court in August.

"I can only define as unsettling the announce of mass resignation of all MPs of PDL - especially if meant to apply an extreme pressure on the Head of the State and force an early dissolution of the Parliament,"said the president.

Napolitano expressed thus his worries that the legal problems of Berlusconi - former premier and leader of the center-right bloc - would further undermine the functionality of the Parliament and the stability of the government.

So far the rebuke of the president didn't seem to stop the PDL, which kept gathering MPs' signatures of resignation.

A special Senate Commission is due to meet on October 4th to vote on Berlusconi's banishment from Parliament. The vote will be a strong signal indeed, but not the decisive one. The issue will have to pass before the Senate Assembly afterwards, since Berlusconi - as Senate's member - can be expelled only with the vote of the full upper house.

The markets have reacted nervously to this further signal of Italy's instability: the FTSE Mib index lowered on Thursday and the borrowing costs on benchmarks 10-year-bond rose.

Related:

News Analysis: Berlusconi vows to remain in politics, but the jury out on what that will mean for the government

ROME, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi's defiant pledge to stay in power received a muted response in Italy, but the 76-year-old billionaire still holds firepower not to be neglected.

Earlier this week, Berlusconi released a video message vowing to stay in politics even if his fellow lawmakers in parliament vote to strip him of his Senate seat. But not many eyebrows were raised.   Full story

 

Editor: Liu Dan
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100851254552061