Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: German election  Syria   NSA  chemical weapon  Iraq  

355 killed, 619 injured in Pakistan earthquake

English.news.cn   2013-09-27 02:07:33            

A Pakistani woman waits for relief goods at Labach area, in the earthquake-devastated district of Awaran in southwest Pakistan's Balochistan province, Sept. 26, 2013. A total of 355 people have been killed and 619 others injured in the 7.7-maganitude earthquake that rocked Balochistan province on Tuesday afternoon, according to a press briefing released by Pakistan's National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Thursday evening. (Xinhua/Asad)

ISLAMABAD, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- A total of 355 people have been killed and 619 others injured in the 7.7-maganitude earthquake that rocked southwest Pakistan's Balochistan province on Tuesday afternoon, according to a press briefing released by Pakistan's National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Thursday evening.

Awaran, a district in southern Balochistan, is the worst hit area where 311 people have been killed and 440 injured, said NDMA, adding that remaining deaths and injuries are all reported from the neighboring district of Kech.

A total of 20,000 houses have been destroyed in the quake- affected areas, said the Provincial Disaster Management Authority of Balochistan earlier on Thursday morning, adding that 95 percent of the houses in Awaran have been destroyed or damaged.

Large amount of tents, blankets, mosquito nets, water, medicines and food items have been dispatched by the Balochistan and Punjab governments, the federal government and the army as well as the paramilitary forces to the quake-affected areas, said NDMA in its press briefing.

The affectees have also been made available 5 emergency health kits and 100 trauma kits, it said.

Apart from the inaccessibility of the quake-hit areas, rescue operation also faces other problems. Earlier on Thursday, Chairman of NDMA escaped a rocket attack at his helicopter while he was making an inspection tour in Mashkai, a small town in Awaran.

Balochistan is notorious for terror attacks, sectarian conflicts and kidnappings. On Wednesday, a convoy carrying rescuers was reportedly attacked on the way to the quake-hit areas.

Related:

20,000 houses destroyed in Pakistan earthquake

ISLAMABAD, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- A total of 20,000 houses were destroyed in a 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Pakistan's southwest province of Balochistan on Tuesday afternoon, said the provincial government of Balochistan on Thursday.

A press release issued Thursday morning by the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) of Balochistan said Awaran is the most hit area where 95 percent of the houses were destroyed or damaged in the quake.  Full story

China offers earthquake assistance to Pakistan

BEIJING, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- China's Ministry of Commerce (MOC) on Thursday announced humanitarian aid for Pakistan following the recent earthquake there.

The relief assistance includes 1.5 million U.S. dollars and supplies worth 30 million yuan (4.88 million U.S. dollars), the MOC said.  Full story

Editor: Zhu Ningzhu
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001254552031