PHNOM PENH, Sept. 15 (Xinhua) -- A brief clash between Cambodian police and opposition party's protestors ended Sunday evening after a talk between both sides' leaders.
Police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse about 500 protestors near the Royal Palace on Sunday afternoon as they removed police's barbed wire barricades and threw stones at the police.
There was no report of casualties.
After the clash, Phnom Penh Municipal Police chief Chuon Sovann and opposition party leader Sam Rainsy leader arrived at the scene and held a talk.
"We hold a peaceful protest, we condemn anyone who throws stones at the police," Sam Rainsy announced via a loudspeakers to his protestors after the talk.
Then, he led those protestors to march back to the Freedom Park. Chuon Sovann said the use of tear gas and water cannons was police 's self-defense rights.
Thousands of Cambodian opposition supporters on Sunday marched on streets in the city against the July 28 election results that handed victory to the Prime Minister Hun Sen's ruling party.
The protest, organized by the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) of long-time opposition leader Sam Rainsy, aimed to reject the election results that showed the ruling Cambodian People's Party (CPP) of Hun Sen got victory with 68 parliamentary seats and the CNRP received the remaining 55 seats.
The CNRP claimed that its party should win 63 seats, with the CPP getting 60 seats if alleged irregularities during the poll were fairly investigated.
Security has been tightened throughout the city on Sunday as barbed wire barricades have been placed across major roads.
At the Freedom Park on Sunday morning, Sam Rainsy told about 20, 000 supporters that the party would boycott the opening session of the parliament on Sept. 23 if there was no proper solution to the alleged irregularities during the July 28 election.
He said the mass protest would last for three days as makeshift tents had already set up at the Park for protesters from provinces to sleep at nights.