WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday met with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and other national security officials to review security measures on the eve of the 12th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.
According to a White House statement issued after the meeting, the president's national security team "is taking measures to prevent 9/11 related attacks and to ensure the protection of U.S. persons and facilities abroad."
"September 11th has been a day of remembrance for 12 years for Americans and others around the world," White House spokesman Jay Carney said in the statement.
The attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, last year also "brought home the reality of the challenges we face in the world," he added.
Wednesday marks the 12th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks against the United States and the first anniversary of the Benghazi attack that killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
"We remain committed to bringing the perpetrators of the Benghazi attacks to justice and to ensuring the safety of our brave personnel serving overseas," Carney said.
In close coordination with the State Department, the Defense Department has undertaken a number of efforts over the past year to increase security planning at U.S. embassies and installations around the world, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said in a statement.