WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama held a meeting Tuesday with his security team to review the preparedness and security posture on the eve of the 12th anniversary of Sept. 11 terror attacks.
"The President' s national security team is taking measures to prevent 9/11 related attacks and to ensure the protection of U.S. persons and facilities abroad. The President reiterated that protecting the American people, both at home and abroad, is the Administration' s top national security priority," the White House said in a statement.
It did not disclose the details of Obama's meeting with his security team and what security measures have been taken by the Obama administration to prevent terror attacks. Earlier media reports said that the U.S. government has received no credible terror threat on this year's 9/11 anniversary.
Lisa Monaco, Obama's assistant for homeland security and counterterrorism, has convened numerous meetings to review security measures in place for this anniversary, as well as other global threats, including the recent threat emanating from the Arabian Peninsula, the statement said.
The statement also mentioned that on Sept. 11 last year, four Americans including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, were killed during a terror attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi by Islamic militants. The incident "brought home the reality of the challenges we face in the world," it said.
"We remain committed to bringing the perpetrators of the Benghazi attacks to justice and to ensuring the safety of our brave personnel serving overseas," the statement said.
Almost 3,000 people were killed on Sept. 11, 2001, when al-Qaida members launched terror attacks in New York and Washington D.C. with hijacked passenger planes, in the worst terrorist attack in the U.S. history.