WASHINGTON, Sept. 6 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. State Department ordered non-emergency diplomats to leave Lebanon on Friday due to potential threats to U.S. mission facilities and personnel, according to a travel warning issued by the department.
The State Department said it has ordered a drawdown of non-emergency U.S. Government personnel and family members in Beirut, Lebanon and approved the drawdown of non-emergency personnel and family members who wish to leave Adana, Turkey.
"We are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution to protect our employees and their families, and local employees and visitors to our facilities. We will continue to assess the situation and to adjust our security posture accordingly," said the State Department.
It also advised Americans in Lebanon or southeastern Turkey to avoid travelling to Lebanon and warned those who travel to or live in Turkey.
"U.S. citizens remaining in Lebanon or southeastern Turkey despite the Travel Warning should limit nonessential travel within the country, be aware of their surroundings whether in their residences or moving about, make their own contingency emergency plans," said the department.
The Obama administration is seeking Congressional approval of a military strike against Syria, which neighbors both Lebanon and Turkey. The administration closed 19 embassies and consulates across Africa and the Middle East last month for more than a week after a terrorist threat.
News Analysis: Lebanon to be badly affected if Syria attacked by U.S.
BEIRUT, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- Lebanon will be significantly affected if the United States decides to strike its neighboring Syria for its alleged use of chemical weapons, analysts told Xinhua.
"Lebanon would be certainly affected by any ongoing incident in Syria, therefore our priority should be confirming our disassociation policy -- not be involved in the Syrian crisis and to unite to protect our country from any repercussion of the presumed attack," said Akram Chehayeb, a member of the Lebanese parliament. Full story