GAZA, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- The Egyptian authorities destroyed on Saturday night 10 tunnels beneath Gaza's southern border with Egypt, witnesses and security sources said.
The security sources with the Hamas government told Xinhua that the tunnels located in Rafah town's al-Barazeel neighborhood were destroyed by the Egyptian army as part of an ongoing security campaign.
Local witnesses testified that they saw white smokes coming out from the area after hearing several huge explosions.
No injuries have been reported.
The Egyptian security forces have been carrying out a large security campaign against the tunnels after the June 30 protests, which ousted Egyptian Islamic President Mohamed Morsi, who was accused of collaborating with Hamas.
The tunnels are used for smuggling food, fuel and medicine into Gaza since Israel imposed a tight blockade on the enclave in 2007.
The Gaza-ruling Hamas government said the tunnels provide Gaza with 40 percent of its needs, while the other 60 percent is allowed through Israeli-controlled commercial crossings.