CAIRO, Aug. 29 (Xinhua) -- Egyptian foreign minister said Thursday that Cairo will not take part in a military attack against Syria, although it opposes and condemns the use of chemical weapons by any party.
"Egypt will not take part in any military operation against Syria, and opposes strongly military interference in the country," the official news agency MENA quoted Nabil Fahmy as saying.
The top diplomat reiterated Egypt's call for the international community to hold the responsible for such "heinous crime" accountable, based on the report of the United Nations investigation team.
Adopting force in international relations is rejected in all cases except for self-defense, he said.
"Egypt urges all the Syrian sides and the international society to activate Geneva II conference to reach a political solution that could resolve the Syrian crisis, preserve its unity, and respond to its people's aspirations," Fahmy said.
A UN team of inspectors investigating gas attack in Syria will leave the country by Saturday morning, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon said Thursday in Vienna.
The Syrian opposition has accused the Syrian government of committing unprecedented "massacre" last Wednesday in Damascus countryside by using poisoned gas, an accusation strongly denied by the Syrian government.
Syria requests UN to investigate three extra chemical attacks
UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- The government of Syria on Wednesday asked the world body to investigate three alleged chemical attacks carried out by rebels in the Damascus suburbs last week, a Syrian envoy told reporters here.
"I have just addressed on behalf of my government a letter to both the secretary-general of the United Nations as well as to the president of the Security Council," said Bashar Ja'afari, Syria's permanent representative to the UN.Full story
UN inspectors visit alleged chemical attack site in Syria
UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- UN inspectors visited several locations in the suburbs of the Syrian capital in their second-day on-site probe into the latest alleged use of chemical weapons in Damascus, and have not asked for an extension of the 14- day mandate, a UN spokesperson said on Wednesday.
"Today, the chemical weapons investigation team was able to visit several locations in the suburbs of Damascus, including impact sites, where it collected additional information and samples," UN spokesman Farhan Haq said at a news briefing.Full story
Britain not to take military action until UN completes investigation on Syria
LONDON, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- A British government motion published on Wednesday suggests the country may not take military action against Syria until the United Nations completes its investigation on the alleged chemical weapons attack.
The motion, agreed by senior British officials attending the National Security Council meeting, said that "every effort should be made to secure a Security Council Resolution backing military action before any such action is taken."Full story
Lebanon not to allow strike against Syria in its airspace
BEIRUT, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- Lebanese caretaker foreign minister said Wednesday that his country would not allow the use of its airspace to carry out strikes against neighboring Syria.
Adnan Mansour told Voice of Lebanon radio that "no military action should be carried against Syria before the UN investigation team completes its report on the use of chemical weapons."Full story