Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: NSA  Syria   chemical weapon  Iraq  Israel   

7 killed, 58 wounded in Afghan Taliban attack on NATO base

English.news.cn   2013-08-29 02:41:08            
 • At least 7 were killed when Taliban's suicide bombings and ensuing gunfight hit a NATO base in Ghazni. 
 
 • The injured included children, women, Polish soldiers with the NATO and Afghan police and civilians.
 • The Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the group launched annual rebel offensive in April .


GHAZNI, Afghanistan, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- At least seven Afghans were killed and 58 were wounded when Taliban's suicide bombings and ensuing gunfight hit a NATO base in eastern Ghazni province on Wednesday, officials said.

"The Taliban armed men targeted the compound of NATO-led forces ' Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) at 04:15 p.m. local time in Ghazni city. The killed included four Afghan policemen and three civilians in the suicide bombings and gunfight," deputy provincial governor Mohammad Ali Ahmadi told Xinhua.

The injured included 12 children, four women, seven Polish soldiers with the NATO and several Afghan police and civilians, the official said, adding the fighting lasted for four hours.

NATO's PRT is a civilian-military body assisting Afghans in the rebuilding process of the war-torn country. At least two massive bombings took place in the attack in the city, 125 km south of national capital Kabul.

Four to six militants were involved in the attack, officials said. All the attackers were eliminated.

The Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the militant group launched annual rebel offensive in April against Afghan government forces. About 98,000 NATO-led troops station in the country.

Earlier on Wednesday, four civilians were killed and 15 were wounded when a suicide car bomber targeted a NATO military convoy in Lashkar Gah city, the provincial capital of Helmand province, 555 km south of Kabul.

Related:

Pakistan says Taliban unwilling to talk to Afghan gov't

ISLAMABAD, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan said Tuesday that Afghan Taliban insurgents are unwilling to talk to Karzai government and its peace negotiators at least for now.

The statement came hours after Afghan President Hamid Karzai concluded a two-day visit to Pakistan that was focused on efforts to encourage Taliban to come to the negotiating table. Full story

Over 40 killed in Afghan violence within one day

KABUL, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Forty-three people, including one dozen civilians, have been killed in Afghan violence over the last 24 hours, the authorities said Tuesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, six civilians were found dead in eastern province of Paktia bordering Pakistan. Full story

Afghan president extends visit to Pakistan for Taliban talks

ISLAMABAD, Aug. 26 (Xinhua) -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has extended his stay in Pakistan for another day on the request of Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to discuss the peace process further, Pakistani and Afghan officials said on Monday.

The visit was extended "for more talks," Afghan spokesperson Ailmal Faizi and Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokesman Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry told the media in Islamabad. Full Story


 

Editor: Bi Mingxin
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011106331252696051