DAMASCUS, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- Syria's Prime Minister Wael al- Halqi said Wednesday that Syria would surprise the "aggressors" in case of a U.S.-led military action, stressing that the West's colonial threats won't intimidate the Syrian administration, state- TV reported.
"We will surprise the aggressors with victory as we did in 1973 October war," al-Halqi said Wednesday.
He charged that the Western countries were "fabricating false scenarios for military intervention in Syria."
The U.S. and its allies are considering launching strikes on Syria in response to deadly alleged chemical attacks last week in eastern Ghouta in the countryside of Damascus, which claimed hundreds of lives.
The Syrian government and opposition groups have traded accusations about the use of chemical weapons. Syria has allowed an access for UN inspectors to probe the use of chemical weapons in eastern Ghouta.
According to media reports, four U.S. Navy destroyers armed with land-attack cruise missiles are positioned in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. All four warships are equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles allowing the Pentagon to act rapidly if a military strike is ordered.
Related:
Iranian FM says U.S. attack on Syria "unlikely"
TEHRAN, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- A U.S. attack on Syria over alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians seems "unlikely," the Iranian foreign minister was quoted as saying by official IRNA news agency on Tuesday.
"I think it is unlikely for the United States to enter another war in the (Middle East) region," Mohammad-Javad Zarif said, adding that there is no consensus among the world's countries against Syria, although the United States and the West try to represent an "unreal picture."Full story
Obama calls British PM again over Syria
WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama called British Prime Minister David Cameron again Tuesday over possible responses to the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria, as both leaders are weighing military actions against the Arab nation.
The White House described the phone conversation, the second since Saturday, as part of the ongoing consultations about Syria, where the government and opposition have traded blame for the chemical attacks in the suburbs of Damascus, capital of Syria, on Aug. 21, in which as many as 1,300 people were reportedly killed.Full story
Syria interested in revealing reality of chemical attack: FM
DAMASCUS, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al- Moallem said that his government has interest in revealing the reality of the chemical attack that supposedly took place near Damascus, stressing Syria has lived up to its part of the deal with the UN but the rebels hindered the UN mission. Full Story
British military working on Syria contingency plans: media
LONDON, Aug. 27, (Xinhua) -- Britain's armed forces are working on contingency plans for military action as a response to "the chemical weapons attack" in Syria, media quoted Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman as saying Tuesday.
Claiming "unacceptable" of "any use of chemical weapons" in Syria, the spokesman urged the international community to respond to that. Full Story
Syria to defend itself in case of any military attack: FM
DAMASCUS, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Syria will defend itself by all available means if the United States decided to attack the country, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said at a press conference on Tuesday. Full Story
Kerry says Syria chemical weapons use "undeniable"
WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Monday that the chemical-weapons use against civilians in Syria is inexcusable and "undeniable," and that President Barack Obama will make an informed decision on how to respond.
"Indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity," Kerry said. Full Story
