Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: NSA  Syria   chemical weapon  Iraq  Israel   

UN Syria envoy Brahimi says military intervention must be approved by UN

English.news.cn   2013-08-28 21:50:35            

GENEVA, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- The Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and League of Arab States for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi Wednesday stressed that military intervention in Syria must be approved by the Security Council.

Lakhdar Brahimi told a press conference that the Syria is now undoubtedly the most serious crisis facing Syrian people, the region and the international community, adding that recent developments having been even more dramatic with "some kind of substance was used that killed a lot of people".

"This confirms how dangerous the situation in Syria is, and how important for the Syrians and the international community to really develop the political will to address this issue seriously and to look for solution for it," said he, who also noted that the development made it even more urgent and more important to create conditions for a successful Geneva II conference, a follow-up to a ministerial meeting on Syria held in Geneva last year.

The joint envoy said that he has spoken to the Americans and the Russians, and both countries said they were still interested and committed to the Geneva II conference, but he did not know at this stage whether that will happen or not.

The joint envoy said he waited for the evidence that Western countries have for the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria and as well as investigation results of the United Nations inspectors currently visiting the sites.

As for the reported possible military action, "I think the international law is clear on this. International law says that military action must be taken after the decision by the Security Council," said Brahimi.

In terms of the effect of military invention, if there is one, on Geneva II conference, the joint envoy was not clear, saying that "the Russians and Americans both tell me they remain committed to Geneva II , but what will happen, I think, will know only if and when this military action takes place."

Related:

Iranian FM says U.S. attack on Syria "unlikely"

TEHRAN, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- A U.S. attack on Syria over alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians seems "unlikely," the Iranian foreign minister was quoted as saying by official IRNA news agency on Tuesday.

"I think it is unlikely for the United States to enter another war in the (Middle East) region," Mohammad-Javad Zarif said, adding that there is no consensus among the world's countries against Syria, although the United States and the West try to represent an "unreal picture."Full story

Obama calls British PM again over Syria

WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama called British Prime Minister David Cameron again Tuesday over possible responses to the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria, as both leaders are weighing military actions against the Arab nation.

The White House described the phone conversation, the second since Saturday, as part of the ongoing consultations about Syria, where the government and opposition have traded blame for the chemical attacks in the suburbs of Damascus, capital of Syria, on Aug. 21, in which as many as 1,300 people were reportedly killed.Full story

Syria interested in revealing reality of chemical attack: FM

DAMASCUS, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al- Moallem said that his government has interest in revealing the reality of the chemical attack that supposedly took place near Damascus, stressing Syria has lived up to its part of the deal with the UN but the rebels hindered the UN mission. Full Story

British military working on Syria contingency plans: media

LONDON, Aug. 27, (Xinhua) -- Britain's armed forces are working on contingency plans for military action as a response to "the chemical weapons attack" in Syria, media quoted Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman as saying Tuesday.

Claiming "unacceptable" of "any use of chemical weapons" in Syria, the spokesman urged the international community to respond to that. Full Story

Syria to defend itself in case of any military attack: FM

DAMASCUS, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Syria will defend itself by all available means if the United States decided to attack the country, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said at a press conference on Tuesday. Full Story

Kerry says Syria chemical weapons use "undeniable"

WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Monday that the chemical-weapons use against civilians in Syria is inexcusable and "undeniable," and that President Barack Obama will make an informed decision on how to respond.

"Indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity," Kerry said. Full Story


 

Editor: Fu Peng
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001326715261