|
|
UN inspectors raise their thumbs as they are watching the departure of the UN inspectors' team at the Four Seasons hotel in Damascus,Syria on Aug. 28 2013. The U.N. team decided to put off inspections Tuesday "in order to improve preparedness and safety for the team" the world body said in a statement. (Xinhua/ Bassem Tellawi)
|
DAMASCUS, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- UN investigation team resumed Wednesday their probing mission in the countryside of Damascus, a day after suspending their activities due to security reasons, a UN spokesman Khaled al-Masri told Xinhua.
Al-Masri said the team resumed their probe at an unspecified location in the countryside of Damascus.
A day earlier, the team postponed its second day of on-site probe due to safety concerns, following an attack on Monday that damaged one of their vehicles.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged all sides in the conflict to "give safe passage and access" to the team. He said " It is in the interest of all sides to bring factual evidence and clarity to a situation which has brought great suffering to the people of Syria."
The team arrived in Syria earlier this week to probe the alleged use of chemical weapons in the unrest-torn country. After their arrival, the Syrian opposition on Aug. 21 claimed that 1,300 people were killed in a chemical weapon attack carried out by the government forces on militant strongholds in the suburbs of Damascus. The Syrian government strongly denied the accusation.
The latest incident unleashed a barrage of threats of taking military actions by the United States and its allies.
Related:
U.S. options aim not at regime change in Syria: officials
WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. officials said on Tuesday that the options considered by PresidentBarack Obamain the wake of a chemical weapons attack in Syria aim not at regime change and that there is no military solution to the protracted conflict there. Full story
U.S. consults allies on possible armed intervention in Syria, UN rejects military solution
BEIJING, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday called respectively prime ministers of Britain and Canada over possible responses to the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria, while theUnited Nationsstressed its rejection to a military solution to the crisis. Full story
Kerry says Syria chemical weapons use "undeniable"
WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Monday that the chemical-weapons use against civilians in Syria is inexcusable and "undeniable," and that President Barack Obama will make an informed decision on how to respond.
"Indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity," Kerry said.Full Story
Syria to defend itself in case of any military attack: FM
DAMASCUS, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) -- Syria will defend itself by all available means if theUnited Statesdecided to attack the country, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said at a press conference on Tuesday. Full story
