MANILA, Agu. 27 (Xinhua) -- About 547 families have been displaced by flash floods in central Philippine province of Samar as tropical storm "Kong-Rey" , or locally known as Nando, entered the Philippine area of responsibility, a senior government official said Tuesday.
Philippines' Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the affected families, coming from 11 villages in Samar, have been taking shelter at schools used as temporary evacuation center.
"But again we continue to be on alert for the (further) effects of the tropical storm," Valte said in a news briefing.
The state weather agency, Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), said that Kong- Rey has maintained its strength and continues to move closer towards the Northern Philippine province of Batanes (Batanes Group of Islands).
The tropical storm brings maximum sustained winds of 75 kilometer per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 90 kph, the agency said.
"Nando will continue to enhance the southwest monsoon which will bring light to moderate with at-times heavy rains and thunderstorms over Metro Manila and the rest of Luzon," PAGASA said in a bulletin earlier this day.