|Security forces collect evidence inside the bus after the bombing attack in Sanaa, Yemen, on Aug. 25, 2013. Al-Qaida affiliates launched a bombing attack on a bus near the air force base in the capital Sanaa on Sunday, killing at least 12 air force cadets aboard, officials and witnesses said. (Xinhua/Mohammed Mohammed)
Click here for more photos>>>
SANAA, Aug. 25 (Xinhua) -- Al-Qaida affiliates launched a bombing attack on a bus near the air force base in the capital Sanaa on Sunday, killing at least 12 air force cadets aboard, officials and witnesses said.
"A bus carrying at least 24 air force cadets was blown up on a main road while heading toward the air force base in Sanaa, killing at least 12 cadets," an air force official told Xinhua, saying al-Qaida carried out the attack.
"Initial investigations showed that an intensified explosive device was either planted inside the bus or thrown on the road in front of the bus while it was driving, which totally destroyed it, " the official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The security forces have cordoned off the bombing area and sent the wounded to a nearby military hospital.
The official said the cadets who currently survived the bombing attack were seriously wounded and the number of victims might be increased.
Meanwhile, al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed responsibility in an exclusive statement received by Xinhua.
"It was the first response from us (AQAP) to Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's remarks, in which he glorified the U.S. drone criminals in Yemen and promised more killings," the statement said.
During a meeting held on Thursday in Sanaa, Hadi said that 40 suspected al-Qaida members had been killed in recent counter- terrorism operations and vowed to keep fighting the Islamists until they laid down their weapons.
"We will force al-Qaida to abandon their arms and considered themselves to be part of the Yemeni people, not an enemy of the people of Yemen," Hadi said.
Al-Qaida car bomb kills 3 soldiers in south Yemen
SANAA, Aug. 23 (Xinhua) -- An al-Qaida suicide car bombing hit a military checkpoint in Yemen's southeastern province of Hadramout on Friday, killing at least three soldiers and injuring six others, an interior ministry official told Xinhua.Full Story
U.S. drone strikes increase security threats, people's unease amid power vacuum in Yemen
SANAA, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- Foreign embassies in Yemen have partially reopened this week after security threats had allegedly receded, yet U.S. drone strikes still put people uneasy.Full Story
Gunmen shoot dead intelligence officer in southern Yemen
ADEN, Yemen, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- A senior military intelligence officer was killed and two bodyguards injured when unidentified gunmen opened fire on his car in Yemen's southern port city of Aden early on Wednesday, a government official told Xinhua.Full Story