BEIRUT, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Lebanese President Michel Suleiman condemned Thursday the rocket attack that targeted northern Israel earlier in the day.
In a statement by his media office, Suleiman denounced the attack as "a violation of Lebanon's sovereignty and of UN resolution 1701." He called on security agencies to pursue the perpetrators and bring them to justice.
Four rockets were fired from an area between Hawsh and al- Rashidiyeh Palestinian refugees camp toward "the occupied Palestinian territories," local media said, while the Israeli side claimed that the rockets landed in northwestern Israel.
The Lebanese army said in a statement that its troops found wooden launch pads from which the rockets were fired between Hawsh and al-Rashidiyeh, denying reports of retaliatory Israeli shelling against southern Lebanon.
Meanwhile, Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Miqati said the attack was an "attempt to destabilize the security of southern Lebanon and turn Lebanon into a battle ground for settling disputes."
For his part, newly appointed Prime Minister Tammam Salam called upon the Lebanese army to coordinate with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon and catch hold of those who fired the rockets.