JERUSALEM/BEIRUT, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday indicated retaliation following earlier rocket attacks from Lebanon.
Four rockets were launched from Lebanon toward northern Israel on Thursday afternoon, for the first time since 2011, Israeli security forces confirmed to Xinhua.
"Let anyone who hurts us or tries to hurt us know that we will hurt him," said a statement issued by the Israeli prime minister's office.
"We deploy varied means and act responsibly. Our policy is clear: protect and thwart," said Netanyahu. "We are working on all fronts -- in the north and the south -- in order to protect the citizens of Israel from those attacks."
Three rockets landed in open territories near the city of Nahariya in northwestern Israel, with no injuries or damage being reported, Israeli Emergency Services spokesperson Zaki Heller told Xinhua. Another rocket was successfully intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile battery, an IDF spokesperson confirmed.
At around 16:30 local time (1330 GMT), Israeli residents reported hearing sirens and sounds of explosions. The Israeli Defense Forces confirmed the sirens were activated.
Following the launch of rockets, the IDF spokesperson asked residents in the area to remain close to secure places and shelters and follow the orders of the Home Front Command.
IDF Spokesperson Yoav Mordechai said it is possible that the global Jihad in Lebanon is responsible for the shooting. However, there has been no responsibility claim from any organization.
A Lebanese security source told Xinhua that the rockets were fired from an area next to the city of Tyre in the western region and landed in northern Israel.
The Lebanese source add that Israeli drones were immediately launched in the skies of southern Lebanon.
High state of alert was recorded on both sides of the borders at a time the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) troops were intensifying their contacts with both Lebanese and Israeli army in an effort to contain the incident.
This is the first time missiles are launched from Lebanon toward northern Israel since 2011. Tensions have risen recently between the two countries.
Last week, Lebanese President Michele Souliman accused Israel of responsibility for a car-bomb explosion in Beirut's suburb Dahieh, in which 14 people were killed.
Two weeks ago, four Israeli soldiers were injured following an explosion taking place near the border, during a military operation. One suffered mediocre wounds and three others were lightly injured.
The leader of the Shi'ite militant organization, Hezbollah, claimed responsibility for the explosion which injured the soldiers and said the bomb was activated from afar.
Hassan Nasrallah, the Hezbollah's chief, said the attack was retaliation over what he said was IDF soldiers operations on Lebanese turf.
There have been several reports recently by Lebanese media that Israeli soldiers crossed the border and entered the buffer zone between the two countries.