ISTANBUL, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian opposition accused President Bashar al-Assad's forces of killing 1,193 people in chemical weapon attacks in suburbs of Damascus on Wednesday.
The announcement was made by Badr Jamous, Secretary-General of the Syrian National Coalition, and George Sabra, President of the Syrian National Council, at a press conference in Istanbul.
The Syrian opposition leaders said that the death toll was increasing the since rescue operation was still going on in the Damascus suburb of Gouta.
Activists had earlier reported some 500 were killed as a result of toxic gas inhalation and exposure to chemical weapons.
Presenting some pictures of those killed in the chemical attacks, the Syrian opposition leaders called on the UN Security Council to convene an urgent meeting on the incident.
However, the Syrian army denied using chemical weapons in rebel- held areas in Damascus' eastern countryside, saying such accusations were part of a "dirty" media war against Syria.
In a statement by the General Command, the army said "biased channels of misdirection of bloodshed have, as they always do, made false allegations that the Syrian army used chemical weapons in Damascus countryside."
The statement said that the allegations were a desperate attempt to cover up the defeat the rebels are suffering on the ground, adding that these allegations reflected "their hysteria, disorder and breakdown."
The opposition's accusation came amid a UN mission here to investigate possible use of chemical weapons in the Syrian conflict. The probe was requested by the Syrian government, who accused the Western-backed rebels of using sarin agent in the northern town of Khan al-Asal.
Related:
Video >>> Syria promises to cooperate with UN inspectors
Syrian army denies using chemical weapons in Damascus countryside
DAMASCUS, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian army on Wednesday denied using chemical weapons in rebel-held areas in Damascus' eastern countryside, saying such accusations were part of a "dirty " media war against Syria.
In a statement by the General Command, the army said "biased channels of misdirection of bloodshed have, as they always do, made false allegations that the Syrian army used chemical weapons in Damascus countryside." Full story
Activists accuse Syrian forces of using "poisonous gases" in Damascus countryside
DAMASCUS, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- Syrian opposition activists on Wednesday posted online videos of dead people who they claimed were "victims of the regime chemical attack," accusing the army of using "poisonous gases" in Damascus' countryside overnight.
The report, the first of its kind in activist coverage, showed bodies tossed on the ground in the eastern Gouta and the western Muadamieh suburbs of the Syrian capital.Full story
News Analysis: Will chemical weapons inspection in Syria be prelude to Iraqi scenario?
DAMASCUS, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- With the arrival of UN chemical weapons inspection team in Syria, many Syrians began to wonder: whether the international community is searching for a pretext to intervene in Syria militarily, similar to that in 2003 when America invaded Iraq over the chemical weapons pretext?
One of the sub-reasons behind the uncertainty was also the appointment of Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom, who served as the former UN weapons inspector in Iraq, as the head of the inspection team in Syria.Full story
UN chief reiterates firm stand against user of chemical weapons in Syria
UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Monday told reporters that a group of experts had begun an investigation into alleged use of chemical weapons in at least three locations during the Syrian conflict.
Ban said as agreed with the Syrian government the group would conduct its activities in the country for up to 14 days and that could be extended upon mutual consent.Full story

