TRIPOLI, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- A bomb went off outside Egypt's consulate in Benghazi, eastern Libya on Saturday, causing property damage, witnesses said.
The explosion damaged the consulate's outer wall and some nearby vehicles, the witnesses said, adding police had cordoned off the scene for investigations.
"Unknown assailants in a vehicle threw an explosive device at the Egyptian consulate in Benghazi without causing casualties," said security spokesman Abdallah al-Zayedi.
The spokesman added that the security services had a description of the vehicle and were pursuing it.
The blast occurred amid a protest outside the consulate expressing support for Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, whose members have been clashing with security forces since their sit-in camps had been dispersed on Wednesday.
In the Libyan capital of Tripoli, similar demonstrations have been held on Algeria Square in support of the Egyptian Brotherhood 's protests against the army's ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in early July.
The Libyan government said Saturday it has adopted a policy of neutrality regarding the situation in neighboring Egypt.
"Libya believes that what is happening in Egypt...is strictly an internal Egyptian affair in which the Libyan government will not interfere," the government said in a statement.
The statement said Tripoli supported moves to ensure consensus building, safety and security in Egypt, while expressing "deep regret and pain for lost lives and bloodshed."