Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Asiana  Snowden  Turkey  Syria   Israel   

421 killed in Egypt's clashes: ministry

English.news.cn   2013-08-15 17:15:29            

CAIRO, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) -- At least 421 people were killed and 3,572 others injured across Egypt in clashes between supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi and the security troops, after the latter dispersed Wednesday two pro-Morsi sit-ins in the country, the Health Ministry said Thursday.

The figures are being continuously updated. The newly announced death toll has risen by nearly 200 after Wednesday evening's figure given by the ministry showed at least 235 people were killed and over 2,000 injured in the nationwide clashes.

The Health Ministry has said 43 policemen were killed.

But it remains difficult to dig out the real number of deaths and injuries due to conflicting sources as well as some incessant clashes across the country.

The Muslim Brotherhood, from which Morsi hails, alleged that some 2,000 pro-Morsi protesters were killed in the security forces ' dispersal.

The Egyptian security forces started Wednesday dawn the evacuation operation at Rabaa al-Adawiya Square in Cairo's Nasr City and Nahda Square in Giza. The pro-Morsi protesters had been sitting in there for some 45 days.

After the deadly clashes, the Egyptian interim presidency announced on Wednesday a state of emergency nationwide for one month, while the cabinet imposed curfew on turmoil governorates including Cairo, Giza and Alexandria.

Moreover, Egypt's interim Vice President for International Relations, Mohamed ElBaradei, offered his resignation after the violence, saying he is no longer able to bear responsibility for any drop of blood or decisions he does not agree with and that he is quite concerned about their consequences.

Related:

Egypt imposes curfew in major cities

BEIJING, Aug. 15 (Xinhuanet) -- In the aftermath of nationwide clashes in Egypt, a curfew is now in effect in Cairo, Alexandria and a number of provinces. The government says the curfew will run from 7 p.m. until 6 a.m, and has warned that anyone who violates it will be arrested.Full Story

China urges restraint in Egypt

BEIJING, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) -- China on Thursday urged all parties in Egypt to exercise restraint and resolve their differences through dialogue.Full Story

Hundreds killed in Egypt's bloodiest clash in 40 years

CAIRO, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) -- The dispersal operation at ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's supporters at Rabaa al-Adawiya square in Cairo's Nasr City and al-Nahda square in Giza on Wednesday has left at least 278 people dead, including 43 policemen, and more than 20,000 others injured, according to the Health Ministry.Full Story

 

 

Editor: Fang Yang
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011108211326337921