CAIRO, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) -- The Egyptian presidency announced on Wednesday a state of emergency nationwide for one month, due to current turmoil over the dispersing of pro-Morsi protesters, the Egyptian state TV reported.
The presidency's statement said that imposing the state of emergency was due to ongoing dangers and deliberate sabotage acts by some extremist groups, implying supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.
The statement added that interim President Adli Mansour has assigned the armed forces to assist police forces to take necessary measures to protect citizens' lives as well as public and private properties.
On Wednesday, at least 95 people were killed and 874 others injured across Egypt as the police disbanded major pro-Morsi sit- ins at two vital squares in the capital Cairo and Giza, a health official told Xinhua.
The Egyptian police are standing up to terrorist groups who are seeking to create chaos in the homeland, said the Interior Ministry in a press statement published later on the ministry's website.
The statement added that the policemen have managed to arrest 543 members of them with heavy weapons and huge quantities of ammunition.
These groups are targeting police stations and governmental and religious buildings to spread chaos in the country, it said.
The Interior Ministry said Muslim Brotherhood leaders had been calling for attacking police stations in different governorates, official new agency MENA said, adding that Tebeen police station in Helwan and Waraq police station in Giza were set ablaze, while several other police stations in Upper Egypt were also reportedly damaged.
According to MENA, chief of Kerdasah's police station in Giza was slaughtered when the MB militants were attempting to break into the station prison, and another two policemen were critically wounded.
Some local news reported that 52 of the MB's leading members have been arrested, mostly those protesting in Rabaa Al Adawiya square in Cairo's Nasr City.