WASHINGTON, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- The United States on Thursday night ordered non-emergency staff from its consulate general in Lahore, Pakistan to leave, citing specific terror threats.
"The Department of State ordered the departure of non-emergency U.S. government personnel from the U.S. Consulate General in Lahore, Pakistan," the department said in an updated travel warning.
"The Department of State ordered this drawdown due to specific threats concerning the U.S. consulate in Lahore," it added.
The move followed an evacuation of non-essential embassy staff out of the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on Tuesday by U.S. Air Force.
"The presence of several foreign and indigenous terrorist groups poses a potential danger to U.S. citizens throughout Pakistan," the travel warning noted. "Across the country, terrorist attacks frequently occur against civilian, government and foreign targets."
It advised U.S. citizens against making non-essential travels to the South Asian nation.
The State Department is extending the closure of 19 U.S. diplomatic missions until this Saturday in anticipation of terror attacks based on intercepted communications purported to be between al-Qaida leader Ayman Zawahri and Nasser Wuhayshi, head of the Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.
SANAA, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- A U.S. drone strike killed at least three suspected al-Qaida militants in Yemen's southeastern province of Hadramout on Thursday, amid terrorist threat in the Arab country that forced Western countries to withdraw their diplomatic personnel, local officials said.
"The fresh air raid hit a convoy in Al-Eyon district in Hadramout, killing at least three suspected terrorists and injuring two others," an interior ministry official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity, adding that "it was the second deadly U.S. air raid on Thursday." Full story
WASHINGTON, Aug. 6 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. Air Force had flown some non-essential embassy staff out of the Yemeni capital Sanaa early on Tuesday at the request of the U.S. State Department, the Pentagon said.
The State Department issued a travel warning earlier in the day, ordering "the departure of non-emergency U.S. government personnel from Yemen due to the continued potential for terrorist attacks." Full story